Collimating Sky Watcher 200

Afternoon and I hope someone can help me. I've just got my first telescope, a Sky Watcher 200, and it is brilliant. The first time I saw Jupiter I literally gasped out loud.

However, I am now trying to collimate it and, well, failing.

I cannot find anything that tells me exactly how to do it on this make an model. Nothing in the box that came with it or with the collimator or on YouTube helps. I know I have to adjust the "three screws" to get the red dot centred in the circle, but what do I adjust them with and where exactly ARE these screws on the Sky Watcher 200? Are they the three holes around the ring at the top of the secondary mirror housing? If so, what do I poke down the holes? I have tried various alum keys but nothing seems to make any difference to the red dot. I think I read somewhere that you use a 2mm alum key, but it doesn't do anything at all.

Sorry if this sounds dumb but I'm going slowly as I don't want to break it. If someone can give me a bit of guidance, I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks,

Geoff

http://www.astro-bab...ation guide.htm This is one of the best tutorials going mate & the one I used,

Steve

Whoops, just realised u are on about aligning the finderscope, there are a couple of screws on the RDF which move the dot up,down,left & right, put a low mag ep in the scope during the day & focus on a street lamp or similar, then check the red dot and move it using the screws until ur on the same target (the lamp) then put in a higher mag (10mm) and repeat for acuracy. Dont bother trying to do it at night as its a nightmare. Btw the screws on the base of the actual scope are to colimate the mirror as explained in the above link.

Steve

Hi Geoff, it's the metric 2mm Allen Key if that makes sense (as it is not obvious as I have both metric and imperial in my tool box), and that is for adjusting the secodary mirror, three holes as you say in spider central bit, the key should just go in and you twist carefully so that it 'catches', the laser collimater is not needed for this. you just have to get the secondary mirror looking nice and round by looking into the focuser, if it is already aligned correctly do not make any adjustment.

For the main mirror you use the collimater, first, loosen the set screws next to the main knobs and then adjust each main knob in turn according to requirements, but see Astro-baby's instructions as ti how to collimate, note how all three mirror clips should be seen and so on. Good luck.

the main thing to remember with collimation is that although you may (as I do) check it every time you observe, you will often not need to change or adjust anything.

the first rule of collimation is check first and leave it if it's OK.

certain stages (checking the spider vane centraisation, checking the focuser collimation and checking the mirror rotation) need doing once if ever.

the adjustment of the secondary tilt needs checking regularly but is unlikely to be out much ever unless you really bump the scope hard (e.g. drop it).

the adjustment of the primary is the one that affects things most and is also thankfully the easiest to adjust.

follow the guides highlighted, bear in mind that factory set collimation screws can be overly tight and just check before you loosen anything and you'll be fine.

sometimes are star parties I show people how to collimate and they are amazed how easy it is when shown - try and get someone to show you if you can find a local observer. what I then do (rather cruelly) is put both aspects of collimation out and get them to do it themselves. almost without exception they then get it right first time.

Archived