NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar flare question

Gregnat73

Believe that you can if they are large enough and at the right place - edge, and you have the magnification.

Some years back at Sidmouth I think someone was demonstrating imaging the sun through a PST and used a sedtion of the sun with a flare for the demonstration. He was lucky, he could actually see the sun and had a flare to look at.

It was in Ha, but that seems to be the standard wavelength.

Flares occur all over the disc and are more noticeable when on the disc than at the edge. They are characterised as beeing much brighter than any of the other features, appearing white hot and of relatively short duration, average about 15 minutes. Don't confuse flares with prominences which are seen as red projections at the edge of the Sun. :smiley:

I captured one forming the first time I set my cam up, it was an M1 Flare I believe. I concur with it appearing as a bright spot.

The vids are not great by any means but it will show you what the sort of thing you would see is, although visually in a PST everything would be much more red.

I own a Coronado Helios H-Alpha solar telescope. I witnessed a solar flare only once in it, and it was the only time I saw any color other than red in the telescope. THe flare showed up as a white crack shaped object onthe face of the chromosphere.

Solar flares are reasonably common and through the eye peice you will see a brightening patch on the solar surface, maybe brightening over a few minutes to an hour or so. Then then gradually decrease back down in brightness.

Archived