Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First scope - for a family and on a budget

Thanks Naemeth for the photos - I like the foam(?) insert to plug the gap. I also note you seem to have put a different finder scope on it - can you tell me more about what finder it is - why and how did you stick it on?

Thanks also Cjg I think Chesterfield is probably going to be my closest so I'll be hopefully be dropping by there sometime soon.

I must admit I'm getting the gist that there are more Heritage 130p supporters than for the Evostar-90! Perhaps that is telling me something :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Naemeth for the photos - I like the foam(?) insert to plug the gap. I also note you seem to have put a different finder scope on it - can you tell me more about what finder it is - why and how did you stick it on?

Thanks also Cjg I think Chesterfield is probably going to be my closest so I'll be hopefully be dropping by there sometime soon.

I must admit I'm getting the gist that there are more Heritage 130p supporters than for the Evostar-90! Perhaps that is telling me something :)

The foam is Neoprene, I got it from here: http://www.homecrafts.co.uk/products-Economy-Neoprene-Rolls_E802A.htm

The finder is a 9x50 Skywatcher RACI (Right-Angled Corrected Image), here, although I didn't get it from them as it was out of stock at the time: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/skywatcher-9x50-right-angled-erecting-finderscope.html along with http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/finder-mounting-shoe.html and I needed some sticky pads for it, here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300607137887?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I stuck loads of the pads onto the finder mounting shoe and just stuck it on, it's not a great stick as I didn't do it very neatly but it works.

I wanted it as a bigger finder so I can find DSOs more easily.

Something else to bear in mind is the setup / take down time with anything on a mount (esp. an EQ mount). As a complete newbie to telescopes I found that I was spending 10 to 15 minutes setting up my EQ mounted scope and my daughter was getting bored. Even if I left her indoors while I set up it seemed just a bit too much hassle to spend 10/15 minutes putting it up for her to view for 10 minutes, and then 5/10 minutes taking it down again! (Nevermind the time it then took me to find stuff for her to look at!). My daughter is 7 - perhaps your kids are older and will have more patience and stay out longer (astronomy is for people with patience - esp. with the UK weather - clear one minute, clouded over the next!)

Anyway, my vote would be for the Heritage 130 dob, plus a small picnic table. Get table, open out legs/fold down top. Get Heritage, plonk on table. Setup done :)

Thanks Naemeth - will look into that but might leave the additional finder until I'm more confident with these things.

Zedzed you made me laugh while making a great point, thanks for that :) I'll put you down as a Heritage voter then!

Thanks Naemeth - will look into that but might leave the additional finder until I'm more confident with these things.

Zedzed you made me laugh while making a great point, thanks for that :) I'll put you down as a Heritage voter then!

Agreed, to be honest the finder is a little big for the Heritage - but I thought it made a great accessory. It needs to be near the mirror though, otherwise the balance is off.

I got my first light on my new Heritage 130p last night. Sort of. Saw the moon through the clouds, anyway. One observation I'd make was I didn't feel like I needed a table - I put it on the floor, and sat on a camping chair next to it. For lower angle stuff, maybe something low to set it on would be good.

And yes, in terms of set up time - as a noob, it took me less than 2 minutes to get set up - and part of that was checking the manual! I reckon sub 1 minute is feasible.

That said, though, I also think the refractors mentioned would be good choices too, given their robustness. It does seem like this hobby is all about compromises...

We didn't want to spend too much and the cost of buying extras like new eye peices can be pricey, but you keep them as can use on other scopes and I am hoping the supplied ones will be fine to start with.

I read this

http://telescopereviewsuk.wordpress.com/2009/10/28/the-sky-watcher-heritage-130-flextube-dobsonian-telescope/

and this for imaging, and have a £4 webcam to have my own go with at some point. Have seen member shots being shared taken with the heritage so perhaps enough capability to snap 'I saw this'. Slightly longer exposure looks to be possible with a Linux install reading a recent post and that image was a nice star cluster.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-201-0-0-1-0.html

We don't have the space for setting up a tripod out back so the mount type was an important factor.

We have a street lamp out front so I will be making a shroud for using out front.

Storage space it takes up is not too bad, it is wider to store then the simple tripod but overall for the size of mirror that I could research it is pretty compact for the tube bit.

If you have lots of people using your telescope what mount would provide the best flexability for varying heights?

What would be eaiser and less of a palavour to adjust if you have adults and children using at the same time.

Agree with the previous post about compromises, no such thing as all in one. Our compromise was taking nebula images but kept a telescope that had good.range of object capability to see stuff and was small to store and quick to setup.

We didn't want to spend too much and the cost of buying extras like new eye peices can be pricey, but you keep them as can use on other scopes and I am hoping the supplied ones will be fine to start with.

I read this

http://telescoperevi...nian-telescope/

and this for imaging, and have a £4 webcam to have my own go with at some point. Have seen member shots being shared taken with the heritage so perhaps enough capability to snap 'I saw this'. Slightly longer exposure looks to be possible with a Linux install reading a recent post and that image was a nice star cluster.

http://www.iceinspac...01-0-0-1-0.html

We don't have the space for setting up a tripod out back so the mount type was an important factor.

We have a street lamp out front so I will be making a shroud for using out front.

Storage space it takes up is not too bad, it is wider to store then the simple tripod but overall for the size of mirror that I could research it is pretty compact for the tube bit.

If you have lots of people using your telescope what mount would provide the best flexability for varying heights?

What would be eaiser and less of a palavour to adjust if you have adults and children using at the same time.

Agree with the previous post about compromises, no such thing as all in one. Our compromise was taking nebula images but kept a telescope that had good.range of object capability to see stuff and was small to store and quick to setup.

Thanks for the links happy-kat will certainly look at them when I'm ready to do some photography - nice to know I would have the option with the 130p.

Well, think I've made my decision... going for the Heritage 130p, so many recent positive posts about it. I'm going to look at one on Saturday and I seriously doubt I'll walk out of the shop without it!

Wish me luck.

Well, think I've made my decision... going for the Heritage 130p, so many recent positive posts about it. I'm going to look at one on Saturday and I seriously doubt I'll walk out of the shop without it!

Wish me luck.

Good luck! If you can, get a cheshire collimator, Allen keys as well if you don't have them :).

Thanks - is it likely I'm going to have to collimate out of the box?

It's unlikely. You should probably check it, but it's important to read guides so you know exactly what you are doing (don't worry, it's an easy 5 minute process once you know how). It's important to go slowly, but once you've done it once, you will probably do it much quicker next time.

Here's a useful guides written by Astro_Baby: http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm

Ours was bang on out the box, but I had to read the guide again as it wont be dead centre as it is a fast scope the view is bias one side. I drew a sketch of it so I would always know what it should look like.

Astro imaging is pretty basic options on reading threads and stuff, but enough me for to hopefully get an image or two of some objects as there are limits as the mount is fixed or you shove it so no good for long exposure which is needed for some stuff. But fun I hope none the less to play with as a starter into this pursuit.

Enjoy your shopping look see.

Thanks Starfox but can't see that scope being the right one for us - there's just something not right about it (gut feeling at the look) please Starfox (and anyone else) put me right if I'm discounting this without good reason....

Thats interesting, visually it looks the same as any other Tal I've seen so I assumed it was as good, so Tal have made a lemon? its a bit surprising they are usually so highly regarded for being well engineered (tank like build quality). Maybe this is why the price has been reduced so low?

Astrobaby- just out of curiosity what issues have people had with the Tal120?

Archived