NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Using an HEQ5

kerrylewis

I've had my HEQ5 for some time now but not been able to use it very regularly until now. I've invested in a new Celestron 9.25 and I'm determined to get the most out of mount.

I upgraded it myself to Goto using the official kit - perhaps this is the root of the issue?

I normally set it up level (with a spirit level) but only point it roughly north. I then enter the required data ( does the time have to be spot on?) and go through the alignment procedure. I have always assumed that if I get the stars correct then it doesn't matter too much about pointing exactly north etc. Is this a wrong assumption?

After all this when I get to use it I find that it doesn't locate objects accurately or track precisely the objects I do find.

is my set up regime too casual? I've had limited time before and perhaps have not spent enough effort on the set up. What is the minimum I need to do to ensure that the Goto works properly?

How can I check that the basics of the mount are working properly?

The mount is basically a good one but I don't think that I have ever got the best out of it.

any advice gratefully received.

It's like anything really... The more accurate you are the better the results. I use my IPhone to set the time as this is very accurate. I don't do AP but I do get Polaris at least into the centre of the polar scope, this will allow tracking for an hour or more (depending on the focal length of the ep) and will also assist in finding targets. I always use a reticle ep on the alignment stars, if not, use decreasing focal length eps to centre the stars and I try to do a three star alignment, it's up for debate but I find 3 to be more accurate than 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I normally set it up level (with a spirit level) but only point it roughly north.

That is sort of the wrong way round. Level doesn't really matter, but you must be accurately polar aligned. I went the upgrade route and mine works OK.

NigelM

Hi I am a relative newcomer to this forum,but many a helpfull person as put me on the right track.what i have found that if I take my time and go to the trouble of trying my best to achieve accurate polar alignment,be sure i have entered all the correct data and try to enter accurate times within a few seconds(accurate watch at my side)itseems to pay dividends when 3 star aligning.I use a 50x power eyepiece to get the target stars central,and on completion i am quite amazed how precisely it finds its target,but if I rush around i find on one or two occasions its way out .So I think my advice would be take your time until it becomes second nature.I never put a spirit level on my mounting just use rack of eye andit doesnt seem to make any difference good luck and enjoy!

1 level the mount. An EQ mount doesnt technically need to be level but that assumes a non GoTo mount. Level is good. It doesnt have tos be spirit level accurate just by eye is good enough.

2 learn to use the polar scope effectively. Either use the setting circles ( which is noce as you dont have to gauge the position of the reticule so well ) or take a look in the new user guide for V3.32 which explains the clock position method which is simpler. Basically the handset will give you a xlock position...say 6 o clock in which case you place the polar circle at the 6 position, ie at the bottom.

3 use either a cross hair reticule in the main scope OR, and this is what I do, make sure the dinder and the main scope are aligned as close as possible and use the finders cross hairs when doing the go to alignment. The cross hairs take the guesswork out f whether a star is centred.

4 always approach target stars in the alignment from the same directions with the handset. So for instabce come at them from below and to the left and do thatdor all alignment stars.

5 be positive when aligning and if you cant be positive go slow. Ie dont ge into a kind of up a bit, left a bit, down a bit, right a bit, up a bit when centreing an alignmen star. The mount hates it.

6 for almost all applications a two star alignment will work fine. Three star on synscan is only used for cone error correction. If thes no significant cone error in the scope, and there mostly isnst in my experience, your just wasting time. The agoato will woek perfectly well at dinding targets on just two stars. Thee star alignment is in the main a pain.

Finally, practice and preparation prevent poor performance. The HEQ5 and EQ6 need the user to be on the ball in set up. Initially you may find the mount a pain and find all sorts of reasons why it wont Go To well. They do have the odd foible but 90% of the aggro is bein unfamiliar with how it works. A bit of practice and you will wonder why it ever seemd difficult.

Good luck and clear skies......

Astro_Baby

That's very useful- thanks. I have just been familiarising myself (or rather re-familiarising myself) with the polar scope and following your alignment advice elsewhere. I think I am ok now and ready to go on the next clear night.

I suppose that I have always thought that alignment could be 'corrected' by the software, and therefore didn't have to be bothered with much. I was obviously wrong!

Thanks for your help

Kerry

An EQ mount doesnt technically need to be level but that assumes a non GoTo mount.

Even a go-to EQ mount does not need to be level. It will work equally well on its side or upside down. It makes polar aligning slightly more difficult (as the the adjusters are no longer aligned alt-az) but that is all.

NigelM

What I've learned when using the mount with a tripod is to set it up level. This has 2 benefits, first as previously said, it makes the Alt-Azi adjustments easier and second, because it's in a temporary position and you'll likely be taking it out and in each night, the level gives you a good datum for setting up the next night. This should make subsequent polar alignments that bit easier/quicker.

Archived