Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rotatable tube rings

Extreme Fencer

Yes there are ... but I can't remember where I saw them. From what I recall they're very expensive though.

You can put a cheap tube ring above the mounting rings as a stop to prevent the tube slipping through the fixing rings when you slacken them to rotate the tube.

A search reveals a thread here http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/137553-rotating-tube-rings-or-something/ which may be more useful.

AndyG

I smeared a little bit of lithium grease on each of the two knurled fastening knobs where they rub against the actual rings. It makes the loosening and retightening of the fasteners just that little bit less of a pain. I haven't got any embroidery rings but move I the tube into a horizontal position before rotating it. There is a second, strategically placed, telrad finder base to keep the telrad in an easy to view position.

i have a tube rotator which was i believe a prototype made by astro engineering some years back - i dont think it went into production but rothervale optics (i think) do advertise a very similar looking rotator for around £250 - mine is for a 250mm mirror assembly but am having trouble obtaining a suitable size tube to fit - check your tube size is ok - seem to remember 200 / 250mm sizes were been catered for - as yet cannot vouch for its rotational accuracy but tube cradle is set in ball races which i hope will maintain tube in alignment through 360 degrees

Do a google for 'wilcox rings' or take a look at the diy section on my site. I used a spare tube ring.

Full on tube rotators are expensive and heavy. I think Antares do a cheapish one bu have read its not very good. Cant say because even as a cheapie its still expensive and also heavy as well.

Archived