SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Rate the StarTravel 80 table top!

Hi,

How would you rate the Sky Watcher Star Travel 80, table top?

-Optics (achromatic abberation etc)?

-Table tripod?

-Quality of bag with aspects of lining and protection (what material?)?

-Usage in general?

Not looking for any alternatives (well, possibly the Sky Watcher Skymax Mak-90, light blue OTA then...also table top mounted) as I have all the various types and sizes of telescopes I need. Looking for a portable grab and go workhorse for variable stars and easier doubles/multiples as well as luminous DSO's. Why I focus on these two is because they are non-GOTO (not desired, have two of them already), highly portable, has a carrying/storage bag included and an attractive price tag!

I also have a sturdy photographic tripod when I would like to use them off table.

Thanks a million

/Ascella

Hi, I got one last year to take on holiday as I wanted something that was small enough to use as hand luggage. The bag is good quality and the views are ok, i have to say the eq stand is a bit fiddely but overall I would recommend it. With a homemade baader filter it also doubles up as good solar scope.

I can only comment on the optics. Fair bit of coma, serious false colour on brighter objects at higher powers... but what do you expect for the price? It's still very good value and both light and compact. I think I'd rather have it on a photo tripod. Serious alternative? Binoculars, or someting better second hand.

Olly

Thanks. Yeah, the optical flaws are anticipated, guess it will be fine for variables. Will a fringe killer filter do any major difference? Never tried them.

I definately want a handcarriage overhead bin size type of scope.

I first thought of an Etx 70 or 80, but dont need computers.

WO scopes are often physically very short. This can drive you nuts as an imager because the drawtubes are over extended and can sag, but it's great for the overhead lockers and fine for visual use. I have a second hand TV Pronto, really nice, which would be an easy carry on. They go for as little as £200 if you're lucky and are very classy. Another member did a Pronto-ST80 shootout and found no great advantage in the Pronto. I was surprized by this because I'd put the TV several bounding quantum strides up the food chain.

Olly

I'm interested in this also , have been looking and reading , the st80 is at the right price range for me , only ever really gonna be a holiday scope so I won't know how good the tables will be till I get there so decided on a full size tripod and mount , think I'm going for it on eq1 , I've checked and can fit this in a suitcase , thought about an az3 but apparently these can be a bit unstable near the zenith , but if your taking a decent photo tripod with you as well then rickety tables won't be a problem . I'll be putting mine in a maplins flight case (next time they're on offer) and taking scope on as hand luggage

When I bought an ST80 a few years back it came with an EG1 table top tripod and a travel bag. The bag is a nice piece of kit, it serves the purpose very well. The scope itself I think is a phenomenal buy. I am always pleased with the performance of that little telescope. The table top tripod was used once and put away, I found it to be a big pain in the backside to use. Scrunched down on a table trying to view anything is not my idea of fun, could have been because the campsite picnic table it was tried on was built by a bunch of 2 year olds sometimes in the late 19th century - not very solid.

Here it is on a decent tripod, a bit over the top but stable! (ED100 on EQ6 pro in the background.)

EQ-1onsurveytripod_zps9d1c8eb1.jpg

I have just bought one of these myself, but just the OTA. Anyone interested 365Astronomy are doing them for a shade under £60. Anyone interested http://www.365astronomy.com/skywatcher-startravel80-ota-tube-only-p-3347.html

I had to pay a little extra for rings and dovetail but al in and including delivery it was a shade over a £100.

I am going to stick it on a Nexstar goto mount and use it in the garden when my viewing time is limited and cool down is an issue. Looks a fantastic little scope for the money, as soon as we get some clear skies I shall make a review thread.

Baz

I have the Orion version of the ST80 - from when they very first came out. For the moeny great little scooe for holidays... taken mine to Menorca, Greece, Australia, and La Palma. Strudy little thing on a photo tripod.

A fringe killer does help.

Oh, so does a couple of decent Plossls, the standard ones that came with it were horrid (but should be much better by now, I hope)

Archived