NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Sun 17/2 ( on an iPhone)

Gregnat73

Hi

Today was my first chance to use my new Coronado PST and WOW! I was amazed at the amount of detail I could make out with such a small scope. I tried to capture an image using my iPhone and while it's not the greatest solar image ever seen, I think it came out ok....

8481566765_0b01f86432_b.jpg

The Sun 17/2/13 by g.nat, on Flickr

As a complete novice to solar photography (or any other sort!) any comments are more than welcome... I'm not even sure I got it the right way up!!

Cheers

Greg

That is excellent, you captured the prom and surface detail and you can see that massive filament. For a one shot picture that is amazing. I know there is very little control over the iPhone's camera, but if you could turn down the gain a bit that would have been spectacular.

I bought a second hand PST last summer and my first view was a spectacular prom, I was hooked. You have managed a great prom and one of the biggest filaments I have ever seen so I can understand your enthusiasm, it must have been a great view in the eyepiece?

Robin

Thanks for all the kind comments.... The eyepiece view was simply stunning (I was amazed at all the detail especially in the proms). While the standard iPhone camera seemed pretty good I'm going to look at getting some other camera apps to see if they can improve the results. I also need to look into getting a better EP (this was taken with the stock 20mm that came with the scope - and I have doubts about its quality.... Should eyepieces rattle when you shake them?) I think a 15 or 12 should give a better sized image?

Anyway just out of interest here is the original image (before I cropped/enlarged it)

8482568174_8c576988b3_b.jpg

The sun 17/2/13 by g.nat, on Flickr

Can't wait to capture some more images but its a workday!!!!

Archived