NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice on what extras to buy

Hey Guys,

So, I have saved up about £350 now which is enough for the 200 dob i've been after for a while! (I apologise in advance for the clouds!)

I was wondering how the extra cash (about £50/60) would be best spent? I only have a few things already, like my Turn Left at Orion book and a red light etc. so I was wondering if i should splash out on a few 'maintenance' type things, or whether to replace the not so good 10mm eyepiece from the get-go?

Thanks!

You would want to get a Cheshire to help align your mirrors, so you can be sure of getting the sharpest views but there is nothing else that is essential from the outset with a Dobsonian.

I find a Telrad or Rigel QuikFinder an extremely useful accessory, but cause if you don't know where the telescope is pointing, how can you find anything to look at ?

For eyepieces etc. spend a bit of time with the eyepieces that come with the scope first, otherwise you won't know what sort of eyepieces to upgrade to. They are not that bad, especially in an f/6 200P Dob. The first thing you will probably 'want' is a higher power eyepiece for viewing the planets. Do you wear glasses while observing? If so you will want long eyerelief lenses or perhaps a barlow instead. Are you not interested in planets and want a lower power widefield eyepiece for open clusters and larger deep sky objects instead? etc. Nobody can recommend the 'best' eyepieces for you until you have some observing time under your belt and know your own requirements.

From my observing with my old scope I knew I wanted something that was portable, and could give decent planetary views with good DSO capability too. I don't think I have enough for a good eyepiece yet so I think i'll start off with a collimator and maybe a star atlas? (I'll get a telrad too if I can)

Rik answer is great. Echo just ading a Chesire collumator for now , if you have a smartphone you can get free 'star atlas' type apps - Google Sky Maps or SKeye if Andriod , which can be more helpful than a book ( as you say you have TLAO) or Stellarium for PC.

I would say, a planetary eyepiece will do a nice job. Otherwise, apart from the collimator, you're well set :)

Rik, I had a look at your Sketches. They're pretty impressive. One question though, how do you go about sketching them in the dark?!! Do you use pastel and tainted paper?

Archived