Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Computer driven HEQ5?

Hi

I have an HEQ5 mount with Syntrek. Apparently I can upgrade to a GOTO system if I pay for a new handset.

The mount came with a cable which will allow it to connect to a serial port on a PC or laptop.

Is it possible to use a laptop to provide the GOTO function for the HEQ5?

Trying to save myself a few quid.....

Cheers

Ed

The short answer is YES

The Syntrek motors and control board are the same in the SynScan,

So you either need to acquire a V3 Handset, or connect to laptop to provide the GOTO. You will need to install ASCOM, and you will need a converter to change the laptop signals to the signals the mount needs. The easiest way is with something like the HiTec Astro adapter - http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-eqdir-adapter.html - unless you adept with a soldering iron and fancy building your own!

Probably true! Ascom has to talk to various bits of software and hardware attached to your computer. If you were on a ligitamate site (EQMOD site for example) then you will be OK. Some anti-virus are very "sensitive" to these sort of programs. Which AV do you use?

Kaspersky should be OK with ASCOM - but if you were on a legitimate site you should still be OK. Stellarium is a very resource hungry program and will run slowly. Have you cleared down all the stuff that builds up on a computer recently? CCleaner (freeware) and then a disc defragmentation may work wonders if you havn't.

Archived