NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fixing tripod position on concrete

Fordos Moon

Or taking that further the Celestron anti-vibration cups.

Myself I plan to use a small cold-chisel to cut three little dimples in the concrete slabs my tripod sits on, this especially after it looked like the tripod was moved overnight. We do have urban foxes here so one of those may have bean to blame.

I drilled three holes in my slabs , just big enough to accommodate the spikes on the bottom of the tripod feet and just deep enough to let them 'bite'.

I then spent a night drift-aligning the mount ( the patio set-up gives me a better Southern horizon and easier access to the warm indoors but no view of Polaris)

Now all I do is 'plonk' the tripod in the holes and I'm ready to go , no more PA faffing about for me . . .

Aligned and shooting in 5 mins including the Synguider set-up.

At the end of the session I just park the mount , pick up the rig and carry it back indoors ready for next time , all the joy of a permanent position without the risks of leaving the kit unattended.

When it's not totally dry my HEQ5 can slip on occasion on the concrete slabs in my garden.

Have any of you come up with a successful way to prevent this, eg drilled holes, something that sticks to concrete?

Hi,

I think making 3 accurate dimples in the concrete is the best way as suggested by steve, just make sure that you tension the legs apart a little before marking the spots for drilling at the correct angle.

A.G

Archived