NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

W/C 11th Feb

Dizeee

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What time do you generally meet? By the time I finish work get home, collect my stuff I'm already way after 6pm by which time its dark already. Being new to this I think I need day light to set up so I can read my instructions as I go :(

Hopefully weekend will also be clear

I can't do Thursday either.

Robny - all of the meets I have been to were after dark (usually 7-8pm, or later). You need to keep an eye on the weather and this thread though - the meet might get arranged, or cancelled at the last minute.

As for setting up in the dark there are usually a few tricks you can learn to make life easier - for instance:

* Bring something (e.g. a plastic bag) to put lens caps etc in.

* If you have counter weights you can slide them all the way towards the centre of the mount so you can carry your mount easily without taking them off. You can usually figure out how far your need to slide them back by measuring the distance between the end of the rod and the first weight with your fingers before you set out.

* Bring a head torch (preferably with red light filter) for setting up and clearing up.

* Probably most importantly: Familiarise yourself with how it goes together - with this weather preferably somewhere indoors!

I still consider myself new, so I expect I missed somethings...

Steve - I can't believe that your scope parts are finally on the way. They should pay you for the ridiculous delivery duration!

Hmmm! That's not what they thought. I'll fill you in on the latest when we meet up Lee, laugh...........not quite :rolleyes:

Counterweights? Havent seen them or heard them mentioned before. Do many modern scopes come with them? Also how long does setup generally take as I am pretty rubbish with my hands so something complex and fiddly is no good for me!

Counterweights? Havent seen them or heard them mentioned before. Do many modern scopes come with them? Also how long does setup generally take as I am pretty rubbish with my hands so something complex and fiddly is no good for me!

Counter weights are used on equatorial mounts to help neutraly balance your scope.

All scopes on GEM,s (german equatorial mounts) have counterweights Dizeee. They need them as the scope is carried cantilevered externally on its bearings.

Unfortunately, it's one of the drawbacks of the design that counterweights must be used. The GEM is also the most common type of commercially available equatorial mount. Not even sure you can buy commercially any of the other types of EQ mounts anymore. They certainly aren't commonplace anyway.

For straightforward "plonk and observe" type set up I would look towards a Dob. If, however you wish to get into deep sky AP at some point? Then, you will need an equatorial at some point anyway, so might be best to get used to one early days :)

All scopes on GEM,s (german equatorial mounts) have counterweights Dizeee. They need them as the scope is carried cantilevered externally on its bearings.

Unfortunately, it's one of the drawbacks of the design that counterweights must be used. The GEM is also the most common type of commercially available equatorial mount.

For straightforward "plonk and observe" type set up I would look towards a Dob. If, however you wish to get into deep sky AP at some point? Then, you will need an equatorial at some point anyway, so might be best to get used to one early days :)

So much more eloquently put than I :D and I also learned the acronym GEM - often wondered but never asked

Thanks

I'm also hoping to see that, but now I need to drive down to my parents after work. Hopefully I can get there before 9:30pm they live in Cheshire, If not ill be stolping at M/Way servuces for a quick try withe the binos.

Archived