Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar novice of the basic kind!!

Bigdaddyjeff

Hi guys

I read in awe of all the knowledge and technical details of what people use and need for solar observing/imaging........but i struggle to grasp what i'll need!!!

I have a SW250P so was wondering what i would need to start observing the sun and would i need anything extra to start imaging??

Many thanks and apologies if this is the 100th time this has been asked!!

Gary

For white light observing you can make or buy a Baader ND5.0 filter. Because the scope is so large I'd actually recommend making a mask for the entire aperture with a circular hole perhaps 100mm to 120mm diameter and then making a filter to fit that. Everything needs to fit very securely.

If you have the flextube model then you also need a shroud. Letting stray light onto a mirror that big can have unpleasant results.

James

second james view, i would go so far as to avoide even using a flextube as if the shroud isnt fixed and ANY stray sun light gets in it will cause very unpleasent results

but ND 5.0 baader solar film is the best (and cheapest and eaisest to DIY) but always check it before use EACH TIME for any holes.

i would get a small cheap scope and make a filter just for that that stays in place perminantly! thats what i use my astral 500 for (but i use a different solar film symour

I use a full-aperture filter using Baader Solar film for the 4.5" mini-Dob of the kids (home made). On my C8 I use a Thousand Oaks nickel-plated glass filter (when I bought it the available types of solar film were not that durable). It is also full aperture. I do find my 80mm refractor with Herschel wedge, ND3 and Solar Continuum filter gives results as sharp as the C8. An off-axis aperture mask on a 10" scope may be better than full aperture.

One tip is that if you do go the path of making your own filter use one of the scraps of solar film leftover and make a little cap for your finderscope too.

In fact it'll need to be covered by something no matter what you choose, and uncovered finder can cause any number of issues.

Thank you all very much. I read somewhere that the hole in the end cap is for assisting in solar viewing....is this right?? But solar film is the way forward i see clearly(without filters :grin:)

I have thought of another scope so maybe i'll go far a smaller one for this.

My scope is the full tube PDS by the way

Gaz

If you could make a filter to fit one of the holes in the end cap that couldn't accidentally fall out then I see no reason you shouldn't use that, though I've always thought them a bit on the small side.

James

Archived