Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

UWAN vs SWAN

Stargazer_00

Looking To upgrade my eyepieces and am considering 82 degree afovs. I see wo offer a really nice range of eps in the 72 degree range and are far more affordable. My Question is are the 82 degree views so impressive that 72 degree arent worth gettinf in the long run?

Next Month I was going to start with an 82 degree celestron luminos 15mm but for the same cost roughly I could buy a 10 15 20mm SWAN WO 72degree.

Bear in mind I only use F5 scopes

Typed on phone excuse errors

In your scope the UWAN is a much better choice. Much more important than the wider field of view is that the UWAN's are much better corrected eyepieces for fast scopes - yours is a fast scope. The SWAN's are fine at F/7 and slower but the stars in the outer parts of the field of view will get pretty distorted at F/6 and faster.

Don't forget that the Skywatcher Nirvana's are the same eyepieces as the UWAN's and can be less expensive.

Thanks Again John. They did seem a bit too good to be an option. I Am currently looking to get the celestron luminos range as I'd like to buy a whole set and the Nirvana range isn't wide enough for me. My ideal set would be 10mm 15mm 20mm 25mm and maybe a 28-32mm behemoth

I'm currently thinking to get 10mm,15mm and19mm luminos luminos and then the 28mm nirvana. I'm concerned that the Nirvana will make the balance of my dob and frac a bit off. I want it alot but not if I cant use it! I got the impression these giant eps are aimed a t large sct to get the widest tfov achievable in them. Not really for fast reflectors or fast fracs which would get comparable tfov with a cheap 50 degree plossl!

Actually these large ultrawide eyepieces do work really well with fast newtonian scopes if you can sort the balance issues out - a really well corrected 30-ish mm 82 degrees eyepiece gives a wide field of view and keeps the size of the exit pupil to a manageable size in an F/5 scope. They excellent in longer focal length scopes too of course. It's a tough act to pull off though which is why they carry large price tags as well as a large size and weight. I've attached a review I did a while back some of these "behemoths" in case it's of interest.

The best 2" barlow I've used is an Antares 1.6x but they are hard to find. Other options are the low cost but quite nice Revelation 2" ED 2x barlow which Telescope House have at 10% off this weekend. Unfortunately this one has a longer barrel though so won't fully insert into your focuser / diagonal.

I gave up using a 2" barlow with my 2" eyepieces mostly because of the weight - a 2" barlow is not exactly featherweight ! (although the above mentioned Antares is as light as they come and is a true short barrel format).

I can't comment on the Luminos eyepieces as I've not used one but I've read some good things about them on the "Cloudynights" forum.

3bigeps.pdf

Thanks again.

I Have the revelation barlow already as I wanted an ed Barlow for my dob and this was cheap. It's far too long to use on a frac though. You Are right in that I'd probably not want to use a Barlow on a 2 inch ep anyway. I've never purchased a 2 inch ep yet but I think that will change, soon I'll probably have a few!

I'll Read your review when i get home. Phone Is Not much use in this respect. It's bad enough just typing and trying to look like I'm working! :)

...I'll Read your review when i get home. Phone Is Not much use in this respect. It's bad enough just typing and trying to look like I'm working! :)....

You naughty person - get back to work !! :grin:

It's a fair question Alan.

I've owned a 16mm UWAN and currently a 4mm Nirvana and was loaned the 28mm Nirvana in the review above. The eyepiece ranges look identical apart from the engraving on them and even that was very similar in terms of font and style. The coatings look the same too. Without actually dismantling them and checking the precise optical layout and internal light baffling and analysing the coatings I guess it is impossible to be sure they are totally identical but they certainly seem that way to me.

This design is also marketed under the Orion (USA) brand as their MegaView range:

http://www.telescope.../sc/47/e/38.uts

I've seen them branded as "Sky Rover" too.

If there are differences they are certainly very subtle ones - I can't spot them !

I just wish there had been more in the range.

Archived