Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

filters for web cam

i have a 1.25" adapter for my webcam and the end is threaded so will take a filter,

now my star diagonal has a permanently fitted light pollution filter added so thats always there if i'm using my star diagonal, which is all the time so far,

would there be any advantage for planetary imaging to add another filter on the bottom of the webcam , or shall i just use the one on the star diagonal,

if it would help what would be the best colour for general planetary mainly jupiter , possibly saturn when available, and a dab of mars.lol..

should i remove the star diagonal one before using another one or can they be stacked on top of eachother , the light pollution one is light blue, i have a moon one which is a dark green (cheapy celestron) ...

sorry for such a confusing question i have no idea what different colour filters do for each scenario

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but unless you are using a mono webcam the only filter you really need to be using is an IR-Cut filter. This is assuming that you've removed the built in IR-Cut from the webcam.

Visual colour filters are used to accentuate details on planets. The following link will give you an idea on how useful each is: http://agenaastro.com/choosing-a-color-planetary-filter.html.

If you have a mono cam, then photographic (not same as visual) colour filters will allow you to capture colour. This will reduce the amount of overall exposure time though as each filter has to be used individually, and before you have significant rotation of Jupiter's cloud bands. This can be mitigated by using WinJupos though.

For planetary webcamming, I wouldn't bother with the light pollution filter as I haven't found it to give much benefit on planets. This is from someone in central London!

You can stack filters for example IR + LPF, or LPF + Green Filter. I wouldn't recommend stacking two colour filters together though, unless you like seeing nothing! ;)

so an I.R. filter would be an option and take the light pollution one off when using it?

that link doesn't seem to work with me mate.

Bah, forum editor added the full stop to the end of the URL.

http://agenaastro.com/choosing-a-color-planetary-filter.html

What webcam are you using? If you customised it yourself, did you take the IR filter out?

that link doesn't seem to work with me mate.

Just checked it and for some reason there is a fullstop after the html, so click on it again and then click in that field and delete the fullstop and then press enter and it should work.

i.e. proper link should be this:

http://agenaastro.com/choosing-a-color-planetary-filter.html

I can't help with the filter question I'm afraid though! :)

As said you only require a UV/IR filter. It is used as UV/IR light comes to focus at a different point than the other elements of light and can therfore make it difficult to get good focus. there is no need to worry about a light pollution filter as planets are plenty bright enough. It is only required when looking at more diffuse object such as nebulae or galaxies.

Ian

My post was surplus to requirements it seems :lol:

You got ninja'd ;)

As said you only require a UV/IR filter. It is used as UV/IR light comes to focus at a different point than the other elements of light and can therfore make it difficult to get good focus. there is no need to worry about a light pollution filter as planets are plenty bright enough. It is only required when looking at more diffuse object such as nebulae or galaxies.

Ian

Well not just focussing, CCD chips are very sensitive to IR light and when imaging in colour will tend to tint your image red or pink.

i'm using two , i have an xbox one waiting for modding and already modded sandstrom sw72011 cheap 30fps hd camera , it has a 1.25 eyepeice adapter and i have taken out the prefitted lenses its just the sensor naked so to speak....

Archived