NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Going on holiday to La Palma and want some compact, but powerful Binoculars.

M4lcs67

Hey folks,

My wife and I are looking at going on holiday to La Palma to take advantage of the dark skies. With this in mind I am considering getting a compact, but reasonably powerful pair binoculars. As I know nothing about bins I was hoping for some advice. They need to be relatively compact, so I can put them in my hand luggage. I don't want to be spending mega money on the Bentley, but on the flip side I don't want some Aldi specials either.

Thanks

Tell us what your budget is and you'll probably get some specific recommendations. One thing to bear in mind is that, with the skies of La Palma (once you get above the cloud), you will see far more with a small aperture than you will just about anywhere in the UK (except, maybe, Loch Loyal region)! For this reason, a small, good quality binocular is probably your best bet.

I was there in April last year and the darkness of the sky was impressive. I took a pair of Adler roof prism 9 x 63's. These were great. I'm not sure if they still make them but other makers (Meade and Bresser at least) do bins of this spec. at between £100 and £160. I find them really good. Narrower and easier to hold than Porro bins, light enough to use without a tripod but even better with a lightweight collapsible tripod.

Hi,

I maybe a bit late with my 2 pence of input but if I were you I'd get either a 9x63 or a decent 15x70, the former will give you immense light grasp and the other one is just about the best compromise between maginification and portability.

Have a good holiday,

A.G

Archived