Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I'd forgotten.........

Bellyeye

Had a really clear evening here yesterday. I got home from work and started preparing my imaging rig.

The last few times out I've got to the point of polar alignment and the clouds have rolled in. I don't yet have a permanent set up so this is getting to be a proper pain. And I really couldn't be bothered.

So I dragged out my old Tal and thought I'd have a quick look at Jupiter and maybe a couple of clusters.

3 hours later I was still there having trawled the sky, reliving the good old days when all I had was the Tal, a map and my eyeballs.

I loved it. Loved it!

I cant recommend that little scope enough especially for beginners. I'd forgotten how much fun it is.

And, more to the point, how much I have missed the thrill of visual astronomy.

I've rediscovered visual too. I had been trying to develop my AP capability but I got fed up becuase (a) the spiralling, cost, (B) only getting a couple of clear nights a month and © sheer frustration of something always going wrong when I finally get a clear night or the clouds rolling in as I get set up... and also (d) the pain of setting up each time.

I got the CPC and its brilliant for visual. A much nicer observing experience than a reflector on an Equatorial mount. The goto is superb. I just try bits and bobs now with photography and reigned in my expectations.

I might try again in the future if we start getting more clear nights

Archived