Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader Skysurfer V added to my rig

Just bought a Skysurfer V rdf from FLO. What a great, well made piece of kit it is. Being a dedicated fan of Hyperion eyepieces, I have come to love Baader products, due to their solid construction and all round functionallity. Yes it was expensive, but I prefer rdf's to regular telescopic finders and the Skysurfer V has alot of brightness levels so you can get it just right for your requirements. Big and solid as well. It looks like it should be on a sniper rifle. It has that look about it. It will sit very nicely on my C9.25 ota. Can't wait to give it a go.......

Hi Malc, That look amazing and expensive too :Envy: more than twice the price of a Telrad. Be sure to give us a report after you have tried it out. :smiley:

I have been using the Telrad for sometime now and it is of great help but I use it together with my finder and lately I have omitted the Telrad.

Hey skir. Me neither. I've only ever had experience with rdf's (with my Nexstar 127 SLT) and having only ever used them I had got used to them. Along comes the telescopic finder with my C9.25 and I am struggling with it. The Skysurfer V has 11 brightness settings, so you should be able to get it set up just right for the object you are viewing. It is a real quality piece of gear that should last a very long time.

Hi MarkSix,

Will certainly give my assessment of it once I get the chance. It was delivered today and I have just unboxed it. Very well made with a nice large 40mm viewfinder. It also has a couple of dew/lightshieds that attach on either end if required. I have high hopes for this one. Will let you know how I get on. :smiley:

Hi MarkSix,

Will certainly give my assessment of it once I get the chance. It was delivered today and I have just unboxed it. Very well made with a nice large 40mm viewfinder. It also has a couple of dew/lightshieds that attach on either end if required. I have high hopes for this one. Will let you know how I get on. :smiley:

That sounds interesting. Dew is one of the reasons that I have skipped using the Telrad. How do you attach it to the SCT?

The Sky Surfer V is basically a version of a military gun sight with the folding end caps replaced by dew shields. That's why it's a fair bit more rugged, well engineered and expensive than a Telrad.

I have a couple and think they are great.

Hey MarkSix,

It comes supplied with a mounting shoe, so all you do is remove the existing one and replace it with the Skysurfer V mounting plate instead. The mounting shoes alone are around £20.

Hi Malc,

Does it come with a riser platform ?

That sounds interesting. Dew is one of the reasons that I have skipped using the Telrad. How do you attach it to the SCT?

There is a dew shield accessory for the telrad but of course that then pushes its price on towards the sky surfer.

I noticed that an overseas vendor was selling the Skysurfer V

with a "new" machined alluminium quick release dovetail system,

that included a riser. Was not sure if it was included here, as I've been

waiting to see it mentioned in the FLO website description.

I would prefer to purchase from our sponser if possible.

This is great, I'm going to order one tomorrow, Thank You !!

Hey skir,

The riser plate is 2.5" end to end,

Mike,

Everything is included with the finder. Lovely black anodised and machined metal dovetail mounting plate. The same goes for the riser and then sat on top of it is the finder which is also black anodised metal.

Fully assembled it is 5.5" from the bottom of the mounting plate to the top of the finder.

A quality piece of kit.

Hey skir,

The riser plate is 2.5" end to end,

Mike,

Everything is included with the finder. Lovely black anodised and machined metal dovetail mounting plate. The same goes for the riser and then sat on top of it is the finder which is also black anodised metal.

Fully assembled it is 5.5" from the bottom of the mounting plate to the top of the finder.

A quality piece of kit.

Thanks again ! :smiley:

Just been playing with the new finder. Not outside with my scope mind. As I type this there is wind, hail and snow lashing against the window. No. I have just attached the two dewsheilds to either end of the finder. Nice rugged metal with a screw thread that screws into the end of the finder itself. Then there are the two end caps that are attached together with elastic. The end caps are transparent, so I assume you use the finder with them in place so to keep dew at bay?????

I used to use mine with the caps on if the dew is bad, if it got superbad I could just wipe the caps with a gloved hand and althought its not a perfect view through the tramsparent caps it does work.

Mostly if the dew is that badyou have to give up anyway but I have ibserved at a few places where the dew can be bad for fonders but the main scope stays ok with the odd hit of a heater. The super long dew shield on the SSV helps a lot as well.

I had mind for about the years and it looked as good the day I sold it as it did when I bought it. Great bit of kit and the other big advantage lf it is the glass area is completely tansparent so you dont get the view dimming down as you do on RDFs with a silvered glass.

Solid bit of gear. i only sold mine as it wasnt getting any use.

I found this quote from a review

A novel feature are the plastic see through lens caps which are a boon allowing you to use the unit without taking the lens caps off, this is quite useful in heavy dew situations as you can simply wipe the dew caps with your finger without risking damaging the lens coatings.

Richiep.....sowwy. Dont feel bad about it.

I was told that the SSV is in fact a re engineered military scope sight. It may be the see through covers come from that. Might have been a military spec so the sight is ready for immediate action in the case of a sudden contact.

Mostly I used mine with the covers off but at a few sites I had maga dew problems and too to leaving the caps on and just wiping them which was handy, would hate to have to wipe the main optical bit.

Something Else I liked with the SSV was so long as the Vixen shoe on the scope is tight it always holds alignment well once set up. Its a bit fiddly to set up with the small screw adjusters but once done it will hold alignment almost perfectly. The big knob on the top for adjusting brightness was also great with a postive click stop and easy to work with glved hands.

Archived