NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Quick question about CG 5 mount

Right, so my celestron cg-5 goto mount has a slightly faulty adapter plug, so once in a while it loses power. When I align it using 2 star align or something andf it loses power, should I redo it or does it save the alignment?

Tonight is the first clear night in weeks, so I'm really looking forward to observing!!

Thanks a lot in advance!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The prongs inside the power socket tend to come together after a while due to putting in and out of the plug, I used a small screwdriver to bring them apart but they tend to return again. A WARNING, the prongs will break easily and you will have to change the socket, I have one prong broke and when I wanted to sell the mount people shied away.

Jim

There is an alignment type called 'last alignment' in the choice of available alignments you can use. The celestron manual says it is particularly useful if your mount loses power. I used it myself tonight actually when my power plug fell out.

As an aside has anyone had the problem of the threaded ring on the power lead not being able to screw onto the thread around the power socket?

The design of the socket/plug is very poor. I e-mailled Celestron about it a while ago as there is a knurled lock-screw on the end of the cable and it looked like it should attach to the mount and screw into place. Not what the man from Celestron said. He said that you cannot lock the cable in place with the knurled lock-nut. You can do what Jim suggested and prise the prongs apart so the plug on the cable grips the connectors on the mount more securely or failing that just wrap the cable around the mount a couple of times before plugging the cable into the mount. Just make sure that when slewing the cable doesn't get snagged.

Thanks Skir. This was very good information. :smiley:

no worries, I just found it myself tonight. I was mightily pee'd off as I'd just got the scope reasonably aligned after a could of failed attempts and then the power lead fell out! :mad: Finding that setting saved me some time and calmed me down! :grin:

The design of the socket/plug is very poor. I e-mailled Celestron about it a while ago as there is a knurled lock-screw on the end of the cable and it looked like it should attach to the mount and screw into place. Not what the man from Celestron said. He said that you cannot lock the cable in place with the knurled lock-nut. You can do what Jim suggested and prise the prongs apart so the plug on the cable grips the connectors on the mount more securely or failing that just wrap the cable around the mount a couple of times before plugging the cable into the mount. Just make sure that when slewing the cable doesn't get snagged.

that is very interesting about what celestron had to say. Why the hell else would they put a threaded setup on there?! Very strange.

My thoughts entirely. I have very small fingers, so I thought it would be a doddle. That was until I tried to screw the locking ring into place. In any case the socket is recessed too far in my opinion. I tried for ages to lock the cable to the mount. I initially thought it was either me or a fault with the mount. Well done Celestron. You make some great gear, but you don't help with you poor instructions and why have a cable with a locking device on the end of it if you cannot use it????

Glad to know it wasn't just me! I spent a fair bit of time tonight trying to get it to attach with no joy obviously.

Did celestron say why it was there?

And on the subject of their manuals I find it amusing how they have an addendum printed for the physical changes to the handset but no information on the near complete change of the hc commands in the software?!

Well thanks for all the tips. I indeed put a small screwdriver between the connector and this helped a lot. I didn't lose power tonight! I also made sure the cable couldn't move around by securing the cable to the mount just before the connector.

I hope the connector will hold, I dont want to take apart the whole thing.

Yeah I've red that before here somewhere. Useful stuff.

Btw skir, do you also do AP? I wonder if my scope is too small (amoung other things :lipsrsealed: ) for the mount :

No I don't do ap yet, though I want to one day.

Well I'm encouraged by your results. It'll be a while before I do any ap as I'm currently just trying to get my setup working properly which could be down to me or an equipment issue. Nice to see that the cg5 mount can manage some form of ap.

Archived