NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Quick question about CG 5 mount

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Obi Wan Ken00bi,

Sorry to hear of your power issue with the CG-5 mount. This is an issue that has been known about for years and can be sometimes corrected by slightly widening the split pin inside the power connector on the mount using a narrow screwdriver. Then if you keep the mount switch always in the 'on' position you save the need to keep replacing the power lead into the mount each time you use the mount. Taping some of the trailing power cable to a tripod leg (allowing for the head to move of course) also helps keep the working connection in place. I have had my CG-5 for almost 7 years now and until last year the above advice kept it working for a couple of years. However last year the power switch itself stopped working. I took the mount to a local electrical repairs shop where he bypased the switch leaving the power connection in a permanently 'on' position. Now when I use the mount I switch on power by plugging in the power lead to the power tank. Since then no power issues whatsoever. The electrician did comment at the time how poor he considered the original switch was. In summary it's a poor design feature of the mount with a work around.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve

P.S. Like the photo of the Orion Nebula :-)

Here is what i have done to my

mount.Dont know if this will help

you with the problem.I use a

mains adaptor .

Those pics are useful, thanks. What exactly have you used to replace the altitude bolts? Mine aren't causing a problem - yet! So I'd like to avoid any possible future problems. I've seen the astro development upgrade bolt sets but they are an expensive solution.

I think the bolt size is 10mm.Mine bent.

& i had a hell of a job getting the old

ones out.I found these in my shed & they

were the right size.Pure luck.These

fit tight in the thread.The old one

were loose.It is a solid mount now

that i have put on a new saddle.

The original saddle, was not up to

it for the C11 scope.

Steve.

Archived