Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Big Line on Registax what is it?!

I assume that that is Registax 6? It looks like the boundary between two "align areas". Although I've not seen it with planetary images, it is often seen with Solar or Lunar - especially if there is any image drift. The cure is to use Registax 5 or Autostakkert2 - both of which are freeware and don't suffer from this problem.

get on to NASA I think you've made first contact...

I haven't had a chance to do any imaging, or viewing for that matter,yet but I have registax and have been fiddling I'm sure I'll be putting loads of questions in here as it doesn't look the easiest to set up with all the wavlets? alligning?

is there software out there that does all this automatically an easier one than registax.

Registax (and the other stacking softwares) are reasonably straightforward to use, but do have a pretty steep learning curve! Ask away if you have problems as I'm sure folk will be only to pleased to help you - we were all beginners once and most of us are still learning new tricks!

Lol I will tell them!

I've only been doing it for a couple months. Sharpcap is very user friendly for capturing on webcam, Registax 5 I find less crashy than 6, GIMP great for playing with final image, Deep Sky Tracker great for my DSLR captures of nebulae.

And it's easy to find great guides for all of them on tinternet, YouTube etc.

I'm on a very enjoyable learning cliff!!

I've also had this issue but using Registax 6.

I now use Autostakkert2 which although takes longer for my PC to process the data works better.

The strange thing is that if I process the same data in both staking programs Autostakkert2 always gives faultless results, so I assume it maybe to do with Registax than your data.

Lee

I use Reg6 when the source images are of good quality and Reg5 at all other times. I flit between them sometimes having a good run with Reg6, until it makes a pigs ear of it and then go back to Reg5 for a while. I have never really had good results with the multipoint option in Reg5, I normally just select the best frame and then for an object like Jupiter select a box that is about the same size as the planet.

Plus of course I select 'drizzle' as the stacking option. After stacking and before Wavelets I do an RGB colour align and then a colour balance, although I sometimes rest both of these if it makes a hash of it. I then fiddle with the wavelets to try and bring out the best detail without over sharpening the final image. If it a little noisy I try the noise reduction filter.

It is a steep learning curve and usually involves several stacks of the same file, trying different settings. It is then that it helps to have a fast PC or lots of time and definitely lots of patience.

I am just processing my attempts on Jupiter from tonight. It was very windy, so results are not spectacular. The best way to improve is to keep posting your pics and ask for comments. There are a lot of people on here who will give you very good advice and like Roger, play or tweak your images. My best picture of Jupiter was carefully tweaked by Space Cowboy on here after I posted an inferior image. Even though he told me what he did, I still struggle to improve the picture as well as he did, some people AR just very good at knowing what to do.

Robin

I think you're right Dr. I have experimented a fair but with the same images. Drizzle seemed to crash with Reg6 is it also an option in Reg5 because if it is and it's not automatic I've not selected it!

As for the box alignment I have done the same, although my box probably too big then as was a little bigger than just the planet diameter?

Archived