NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher 200p Dob Eyepieces...

Hello,

I've recently bought the Skywatcher 200p dob & I have had a chance to have a couple of nights test drive. (Jupiter, the Orion Nebula, Pleiades & andromeda all left me drooling)

i have some change spare from the scope & want to buy some accessories. From what I have read a collminator is essential so that's on the list (my DIY cap seems to be ok until it arrives) I currently have no issue with the finder scope so at this current time ill keep that as is, or until my posture makes a future move to Notre Dame likely.

My main interest is DSO's, and an eyepiece upgrade seems like a good idea, the Baader Hyperions come highly recommended. My main question is, what sizes should I start with - my budget is around £200 - should I just replace the sizes that came with the scope ? what do people find they use most?

also any suggestions of alternatives ? I'd rather start with quality than quantity & add over time rather than replace later on. (Saying that. Unless I win the lotto, mid range eyepieces are my limit)

As far as my my environment, I live in semi rural essex - and this is where I'll be doing most of my viewing.

Hi Meddle, as you've mentioned DSOs I would suggest an eyepiece with fairly good FOV.

It's a very good attitude to start with quality instead of quantity and on that note I'd recommend a 2nd hand TeleVue Nagler at either 12mm or 16mm, or, if you prefer new I can wholeheartedly recommend the Meade 5000 UWA (or ES82's if you don't mind importing) series of eyepieces. The Meade 14mm is fantastic in my 200p :)

If eyerelief is an issue, than my recommendation would be to look at the TeleVue Delos range. They're over budget at £295 new (more than a new Nagler!), and rarely come up 2nd hand but offer 20mm of eyerelief across the range at a very respectable 72 degree FOV.

Hi Meddle

If you like DSO's then a 2" ep will probably get recommended as they give a wider view, the largest ep I have is a 32mm plossl and that won't fit all of Pleiades in view !

I won't recommend one as I'm not in a position ( not having any myself) but a Sky watcher aero 38mm is nice :D

Good luck with your choice

Thank you, the choice of eyepieces is pretty daunting!

I'll add the 200p dob is F/6.

I wear glasses, mainly for driving & distance - so far I haven't used them with the scope as direct eye seems better, but that might just be with the supplied EP's.

Am I right in thinking , say a 10mm EP with a greater field of view, will show the same magnification of the centred object, the same detail - but with more of the surrounding sky?

If you are short or long-sighted then viewing can be done without your spectacles as you have found, to adjust for your eye's shortcomings you just adjust the focuser to suit. As regards recommendations for ep's, I recommend the BST Explorers/StarGuiders from Sky's the Limit, best value eps out there, and for DSO's I would recommend a 2" ep, I believe the SW 32mm PanaView from FLO would be very good for your scope, as it is for mine.

In my 200P dob I tend to use either the 24mm or 13mm Hyperion the most. The 24mm is great for all but a few DSOs, whilst the 13mm frames the Moon almost perfectly. I have thought about a 2" eyepiece and the SW 32mm PanaView would be the cheaper option, though if I could afford it, I'd seriously consider either the 31mm or 36mm Hyperion Aspherics.

Are they Hyperions both 1.25 & 2 inch, or considered a 1.25 with 2 inch adaptor...?

The way I see it is I can either buy a couple of EP's , or sacrafice FOV and go for a 8-24 zoom. and then add a 2inch wide view later...

Are they Hyperions both 1.25 & 2 inch, or considered a 1.25 with 2 inch adaptor...?

The way I see it is I can either buy a couple of EP's , or sacrafice FOV and go for a 8-24 zoom. and then add a 2inch wide view later...

The Baader Hyperions are 1.25" ep's, if you remove the 1.25" nosepiece you alter the focal length to a longer one, but gives you a 2" ep and filter thread, so 1.25" in its proper context.

If you are short or long-sighted then viewing can be done without your spectacles as you have found, to adjust for your eye's shortcomings you just adjust the focuser to suit. As regards recommendations for ep's, I recommend the BST Explorers/StarGuiders from Sky's the Limit, best value eps out there, and for DSO's I would recommend a 2" ep, I believe the SW 32mm PanaView from FLO would be very good for your scope, as it is for mine.

I'm short sighted and don't wear my glasses for viewing.

I too have the 2" SW 32mm PanaView and think it's great!

At the other end, I have a 6mm WO SPL EP that gives 200x magnification and is super for the moon and planets.

Both cheaper but tidy quality.

Cheers

I'm short sighted and don't wear my glasses for viewing.

I too have the 2" SW 32mm PanaView and think it's great!

At the other end, I have a 6mm WO SPL EP that gives 200x magnification and is super for the moon and planets.

Both cheaper but tidy quality.

Cheers

Hi, great minds think alike, I too have the 6mm WO SPL, a great piece of glass in my opinion!

Hi, great minds think alike, I too have the 6mm WO SPL, a great piece of glass in my opinion!

Hello,

Yep, I'm delighted with it.

I don't have the pennies for anything grander and from my back garden I can't manage any more magnification, but the 6mm seems right on the mark!

Cheers

If you do get the chance try a Hyperion 8mm with fine tuning rings (gives the options of 8mm / 6mm / 5mm / 4.3mm), and you get the wider 68 degree fov, which is nice to have in a manual dob at those higher mags.

Good news with Hyperions is they come up for sale fairly regularly and 'pre-loved' they cost about £65.

Archived