Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone managed to complete the Moore Winter Marathon?

jonathan

I've yet to make an impression on the telescope section, and there are a few targets left in the binocular section that are tricky from my usual location. I could probably count the number of clear nights we've had here on ten fingers or less since the Marathon was set, and having work on weekdays I just can't stay up after 12am so it's quite frustrating when I peek out to see stars at that time of night (when it was just wall to wall cloud at 10pm).

I think I managed to get 29 out of the 50. November was a great month for stargazing for me, but the weather went sour around the 10th of Dec.... Only managed to get out twice since then! Was hoping to get a few more, but with January coming to a close, and the weather showing little signs of improvement, I think it's doubtful I'm going to finish it!

I only hope that they continue to do these marathons on S@N.. Spring is only a hop, skip, and a jump away!

Took me ages to get Kemble's cascade... Tried night after night and eventually had to use Sky & Telescope's atlas to find it instead.... Well worth the wait though... Although didn't see the expected variation in colour, but perhaps that was because I was using my bins?

I saw Kemble's Cascade quite well from up the garden, I was quite surprised at how many of the binocular targets I could see. The night of November 17th must have been the clearest of the entire year (and since!) as I got most of the binocular targets then, the seeing has not been as good since.

The skies here have not been at all kind. The bino section was reasonably well ticked, but I havent had my scope out in so long that I just gave up on the scope section completely. Ironically enough, I found my list this afternoon when i was having a flick through Turn Left at Orion. Ho Hum.

Dave.

Same here with more success in Nov / Dec. I got 22 of the bino targets and only 13 of the 'scope targets. To be fair, most of the bino list were seen at low mag in the newt!

The missing items are the low southern ones (M41, Fornax, M93) and the fainter targets that my 6" newt can't get (Eskimo neb, flaming star neb, hubble's variable neb, and M74, NGC 604, M79 and the planetaries).

Archived