Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher skymax 127

Sorry typing on iPhone far too small

Hi all

I'm a complete newbie to stargazing and want to buy a scope for astrophotography. Started off by looking at the skywatcher 150p. But now looking at a skymax 127. Was wondering would this be any good for astro photography. Or should I be looking at something else??? Look forward to replies. Thanks

Bhav

Hi There,

The skymax is a great scope but has a long focal length and a narrow field of view, great for the planets and lunar, but not ideal for faint fuzzies!.

Be aware that you will need a substantial guided mount to reproduce some of the excellent pics on this forum. I would recommend you get a copy of making every photon count. This will point you in the right direction and save you time and cash in the long run.

Cheers

Cheers damnut. I would like to do planetary photography but also deep space galaxy nebulae etc. gonna order the book before I blow s load of cash. Want to get a scope before the comet due at the end of feb early march

Thanks again

Bhav

The Philips is only suited to Solar system objects Bhav. For Deep space objects you would need a bigger scope and a DSLR, and a very sore wallet result! :p. Yes Rik i used an Astro Engineering APO 2X Barlow and a Baader IR cut filter.

Baz.

For planetary imaging the Skymax is a good choice.

For deep sky imaging you need a fast focal ratio. Ideally less than f/7. The Skymax is almost f/12 so really too slow to collect enough light from the faint targets. The focal length of 1500mm is also a huge challenge for the mount. You would need a rock solid mount and good autoguiding system. You would get better results and it would cost less to get a small ED refractor and HEQ5 mount instead.

Hi Bav,

You can do lots with an st80!! But you will need a solid mount,a modded dslr, lots of time and some clear skies. AP scopes range from short apo's to astrographs.. Do some research, take your time and drop in on a meet with a local astro group :smiley: ....

Cheers

Hi have a 24mp dslr just lacking a scope. There's so much out there just want to get a good all rounder for planet and space in general any suggestions?

Unfortunately planets and deep space are not mutually compatible as far as telescopes go. You will not get a good all rounder for them both.

Archived