NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observing sites

Lee M

I've been reading back over light pollution related threads this evening and thinking about local sites that I could go to for better observing.

I'm on the south coast of England with the rolling South Downs just to the north. Looking at a LP map it's clear that observation should be much better within a 15 to 30 minute drive. But I can see a couple of options:

a: go for altitude* to give give a wider view of the sky, reduce 'low level' humidity and pollution etc, but be able to see direct LP from towns in the distance.

* we're talking 200m here not mountains. But enough that at 180m today still thick snow over fields that fell a week ago compared to sea level a couple of miles away where it's long gone.

b: look for a shallow valley that blanks out LP from local towns giving maximum darkness but restricting the view of the sky nearer the horizon and bearing in mind it's the sort of place that mist will form.

I've kind of formed my own opinion in the process but I'd be interested in people's views and recommendations.

And it might pass a few minutes whilst the rain beats at the window :embarassed:

Cheers

Lee

Try a few places and see what works best, but generally I'd say avoid hilltops as they get very windy. You don't need an all-round view. If you're going to use a site for regular long-term deep-sky observing then all you need is a good view extending from the southern horizon to Polaris, in which case you'll be able to see everything in your sky as it passes the meridian. Anything else is a bonus. The pic below shows the 72" Leviathan telescope. The supporting side-walls were aligned north-south: the telescope could only be moved a small amount side-to-side, and that was fine - over the course of a year they could see everything they wanted.

Mist traps are hard to predict, you've just got to try a place and see if it's prone. With light pollution, the main thing is the extent of light domes in the sky. You need to go a long way to escape urban light domes completely, so the best thing is to make sure you don't have one due south, but in some other direction instead.

post-1955-0-65109500-1359195794.jpg

Hi lee :)

I'm right down on the south coast too (Worthing) and I try to drag my lazy butt up onto the downs whenever possible because the view is epic. The light pollution isn't really a issue, I find that it stays around he distant towns in a low bubble so it won't bother your views at all. Give it a try mate, I love it and I bet you will too!

Good luck. Gazza

Spend some time using LP maps and Google Earth to get some possible dark site areas then its a case of trying them and seeing which one is best.

An SQM meter is very handy for giving you accurate sky quality readings and will show you which site is best but its not cheap I'm afraid.

The pic below is from a dark site I tried last Winter, it was on top of a big hill with fairly dark VLM 6.2 skies with great all round views but the LP domes were terrible and as it was bright enough to ruin my dark adapted eyes so its a place I've never returned to.

My current favourite dark site is literally right next to a cliff overlooking the English Channel with great views from the SE to NW, as it looks out to sea there is zero LP in that direction, its also darker, less windy and warmer than the hillside spot. The only downside that can happen when observing overlooking the sea is that sometimes you'll get a light sea mist up to around 15˚ off the horizon.

post-20821-0-05070400-1359201289_thumb.j

Try a few places and see what works best, but generally I'd say avoid hilltops as they get very windy. You don't need an all-round view. If you're going to use a site for regular long-term deep-sky observing then all you need is a good view extending from the southern horizon to Polaris, in which case you'll be able to see everything in your sky as it passes the meridian. Anything else is a bonus. The pic below shows the 72" Leviathan telescope. The supporting side-walls were aligned north-south: the telescope could only be moved a small amount side-to-side, and that was fine - over the course of a year they could see everything they wanted.

Mist traps are hard to predict, you've just got to try a place and see if it's prone. With light pollution, the main thing is the extent of light domes in the sky. You need to go a long way to escape urban light domes completely, so the best thing is to make sure you don't have one due south, but in some other direction instead.

Cheers Acey, that's just the sort of advice I was after. Clear to the south is going to be the trickiest bit as there's not that many gaps in habitation but at least that gives me something to aim for.

Lee

Hi lee :)

I'm right down on the south coast too (Worthing) and I try to drag my lazy butt up onto the downs whenever possible because the view is epic. The light pollution isn't really a issue, I find that it stays around he distant towns in a low bubble so it won't bother your views at all. Give it a try mate, I love it and I bet you will too!

Good luck. Gazza

Cheers Gazza, nothing like a bit of local knowledge, that's good to know. I've got a few likely places from 'close & convenient' to 'further but should be good'. So all I need is a forecast of reasonably consistent clear sky for an evening then get my backside out there. :icon_mrgreen:

Spend some time using LP maps and Google Earth to get some possible dark site areas then its a case of trying them and seeing which one is best.

An SQM meter is very handy for giving you accurate sky quality readings and will show you which site is best but its not cheap I'm afraid.

Mike - you're a bad man! Don't tantalise me with more gadgets :eek: :eek: :eek:

The pic below is from a dark site I tried last Winter, it was on top of a big hill with fairly dark VLM 6.2 skies with great all round views but the LP domes were terrible and as it was bright enough to ruin my dark adapted eyes so its a place I've never returned to.

My current favourite dark site is literally right next to a cliff overlooking the English Channel with great views from the SE to NW, as it looks out to sea there is zero LP in that direction, its also darker, less windy and warmer than the hillside spot. The only downside that can happen when observing overlooking the sea is that sometimes you'll get a light sea mist up to around 15˚ off the horizon.

I saw that photo in another thread. Quite spooky, horrifying and beautiful all at the same time! I really like it.

Good suggestion with the cliffs. A bit more of a drive for me to get to some but I'll certainly give it a go some time.

Cheers

Lee

I used to live on the outskirts of Brighton on top of a hill. Across the city was rather orange and hard work to find things in - without being able to directly see the lights. I got quite familiar with stars in the north west to south east! As has been mentioned it can be windy on top of a hill and it always seemed to be cloudy as well.

Cheers Dan. I liked Mike's clifftop suggestion but I was already thinking I'd have to head far more Beachy Head way to get away from the LP from Brighton.

I think I've found a nice little spot not too far from home. Just got to sort out a few bits & pieces & then I'll head off and give iot a try soon. The back grarden's starting to get frustrating already.

Lee

Well, just to let you know that I got out there and gave somewhere a try last night. Only about 15 minutes from home, identified by a combination of LP maps, OS and a quick check out on Sunday morning under the guise of a family dog walk!

Down a single track road with not too much habitation. Small parking area which enabled me to unload direct out of my van onto a firm, flat verge. I can lay out book, EPs, bins & bits and pieces in the protection of the van about 3m from scope.

A large field slopes gently southward from there to a wood that's just tall enough to blot out the worst of the coastal strip LP.

The sky looked stunning compared to thhe back garden. Andromeda was just about naked eye, definitely there with averted vision. I'd managed M31 & 32 from my back garden but not M101. It was a simple spot last night.

I also bagged Triangulum M33 plus M81 & 82.

Whilst gazing around just with naked eye I spotted a fuzzy area to the west of Cassiopeia that I'd not been able to see before. Lined up the scope and boom what a view. I scribbled a diagram down just to be sure and found I'd been looking at a (the?) double cluster. An absolutely lovely 'find' that hadn't been on my hit list.

I inexplicably forgot to look for two more galaxies but did find the Crab nebula M1.

I lost about an hour to high thin cloud but all in all I was absolutely chuffed with the evening. It's certainly a site I'll be revisiting as soon as I can.

Lee

Suggest you look at LP maps of southern England - the Weald, between North and South Downs, clear of towns should serve. Just try a car run at night :rolleyes:

Cheers Nytecam. Yes, I've got other spots in mind as well. I had one suggestion made privately that I'd already pencilled in for a visit.

The dog got a run up there on Sunday too :laugh:

It's just a bit more of an involved trip. This is quick & easy.

Just another thought Lee - have you tried the beach near home? Technically no LP from east-west via south and Worthing AS use it [@ Goring?] from time to time :cool:

Goring gap isn't great, the cars all drive along the road with main beam on and there's quite a bit of funny buisiness that happens in cars around there, if you know what I mean.

Just another thought Lee - have you tried the beach near home? Technically no LP from east-west via south and Worthing AS use it [@ Goring?] from time to time :cool:

It has crossed my mind although as Biggazza says much of it has coastal road, properties, etc.

Looking at LP maps the best option, if I went for the seafront, is between Littlehampton and Bognor. I think that's where I'd head if I need to see something low to the south.

I was going to have a trip somwhere darker inlkand this evening but it's only the BBC forecast that's showing any optimism. We've already got 50% cover and most forecasts just show it deteriorating.

I think I'll get everything ready and if it looks worth a try head to my site 15 mins away.

Wed / Thu looks hopefull though. Fingers crossed.

As you say lee the stretch between littlehampton and Bognor should be quite nice, If you know where the oystercatcher pub is near ford you can head south and end up on west beach, (west from the river, about half a mile).looks promising there :)

Glad I only went 'local' this evening. Got the tube in the mount then went to set out all my odds & sods & realised I'd left my notes and TLaO at home :cry: DOH!

At least it was only a half hour round trip.

Time for a check list :undecided: .

As you say lee the stretch between littlehampton and Bognor should be quite nice, If you know where the oystercatcher pub is near ford you can head south and end up on west beach, (west from the river, about half a mile).looks promising there :)

That is, if I recall, Climping Beach and the road goes right up to the beach shingle - bright Littlehampton to left = due east :Envy:

That is, if I recall, Climping Beach and the road goes right up to the beach shingle - bright Littlehampton to left = due east :Envy:

Spot on. And Bognor to the west which isn't exactly softly lit with the likes of Butlins there.

If you look at the LP images it does stand out as 'better' than anywhere else close. I'll have to take a drive down one evening & see how it is.

Your really struggling for darkness on the coast that's the best place that way I can think of. Unless you fancy a drive to cissbury ring north of Worthing, that's my proffered dark site. Only problem is a 10min hike up a hill or stay in the valley and let the hills block the horizon (and most of the LP ;) )

The 200p would be fine it's just the mount and the counterweights that I wouldn't like to march up there!! ;)

Are you part of a astronomy association? I'm part of Worthing astronomers and we are always going on meet ups and observing sessions, would be a good excuse for a observing evening if ever your available to come along and meet the gang :)

The 200p would be fine it's just the mount and the counterweights that I wouldn't like to march up there!! ;)

Are you part of a astronomy association? I'm part of Worthing astronomers and we are always going on meet ups and observing sessions, would be a good excuse for a observing evening if ever your available to come along and meet the gang :)

I hadn't seen that group. Excellent. Sounds like my kind of setup. Application email submitted.

Cheers

Lee

Archived