Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First time explorer stikes gold But needs advice to see better :)

Hi All

I bought a scope on Monday Orion Optics GX200 f/4.5 8" Reflector (second-hand locally), it just looked so impressive when I went to have a look at it; I just bought it without really knowing what I was buying. Still when showing my friends what I bought, they all gasped and commented on it being the biggest they had ever seen. (I am still smiling over that). Anyhow after 4 days of clouds upon clouds wrapped up inside of a cloud and spread a million miles thick across the whole sky a gap appeared. So I’m afraid to admit it but I ignored all the advice I’ve been reading and headed of out with the hope of adventure in my heart.

I got myself a good position under a street light (cause I wasn't sure how to set the scope up and it’s really hard in the dark). After only 1 hour 20 mins I was up and running, I did pop back in the house for a cuppa and a hat (was very cold). The sky was clouded over but a pale moon was visible through the clouds; scope at the ready I set out on my path to discovery. Got the moon in the spotter scope (bang in the centre feeling pretty pleased), eye piece in and..... nothing just darkness, I asked the misses to have a look she could see nothing. I had lined the spotter scope up several times in the house over the last few days, (like a kid with a new toy), could I have knocked it when setting up. Let’s check, lamppost down the road shall check on this, huh blackness again, had I smashed the mirror or something, damaged it in my eagerness for wonder ...no I had left the cover over the end (Hangs head in shame), the misses has told everyone, surprised she has not made an account on here to tell everyone "look at him with his big expensive telescope doesn't even know how to look through it".

Anyhow...

The moon was mine now, had only been outside for a little under two hours (so need to buy some thermals). At last I pointed the scope at the moon and....... yeah it looked ok, wasn't anything special, in fact was a bit two bright made my eyes water. Let’s try another eye piece might get better, no that’s worse really blurry, another, o yeah now were talking that’s clear look at the depth and texture. I'd been using the wrong eye pieces. Got the right one now time for the. 2X barlow. I had read all about them increases magnification it’s the daddy, box open in the scope my correct eye piece in and what do I get...... blurry moon. .Grr........what going on, just what, I must be missing something.... (Yeah apparently it’s a brain).... you can adjust the focus with dials on the telescope (just a note all my eyepieces work ). The moon looked crystal clear now so i started checking out different views of the moon still a bit too bright but looking sweet I will be taking some photos , but thats getting a bit ahead of myself need sort out how to operating the scope properly never mind a camera.

By now It’s getting on so decide to go in but stepping back from the scope I see through a gap in the clouds a star

I'm going for it, got the focus stuff sorted, lens caps off, the scopes (which i have now named daisy) is all set up, it would be a waste not to have a look at a star. So, bang i get it right in the middle of the spotter scope and ..it wasn't a star no no no... Was way way way better, it was a planet, I had discovered a planet, (I quickly named it Jupiter). Now I wasn’t quite prepared for this sensation I mean I had seen plenty of pictures of Jupiter but somehow this was different I was looking at it myself in real time I could see bands of colour, quick quick wake the kids up they need to see this "no its gone one in the morning love" the misses shouts out the bedroom window (but the way she said love made me think she wanted to kill me not really love me). I stayed out for another hour traking it acrossthe sky, I'm still on a high. It all clouded again now and busting to show people I mean the feeling you get is quite surreal.

I mean after all it was a great night even though I was cold and kept getting things wrong I still discoverd jupiter and it looked to state the obvious out of this world. Hooked is an understatment.

So even though I ignored all the advice I’ve been reading (just had to go out and have a look) i was hoping for some more, what’s the best eyepiece/ conditions etc. etc. with my awesome new telescope (aka Daisy) to gain the best views of my newly discovered planet.

At the top of the reply box there's a box called "Size" . . . click on that and select 14 , that should give you this size of lettering , much easier on my poor tired eyes . . . . :p

Thanks ,

You won't be able to edit until you've a certain number of posts under your belt ,

Please don't go typing it all again in bigger print . . . .

Hi All

I bought a scope on Monday Orion Optics GX200 f/4.5 8" Reflector (second-hand locally), it just looked so impressive when I went to have a look at it; I just bought it without really knowing what I was buying. Still when showing my friends what I bought, they all gasped and commented on it being the biggest they had ever seen. (I am still smiling over that). Anyhow after 4 days of clouds upon clouds wrapped up inside of a cloud and spread a million miles thick across the whole sky a gap appeared. So I’m afraid to admit it but I ignored all the advice I’ve been reading and headed of out with the hope of adventure in my heart.

I got myself a good position under a street light (cause I wasn't sure how to set the scope up and it’s really hard in the dark). After only 1 hour 20 mins I was up and running, I did pop back in the house for a cuppa and a hat (was very cold). The sky was clouded over but a pale moon was visible through the clouds; scope at the ready I set out on my path to discovery. Got the moon in the spotter scope (bang in the centre feeling pretty pleased), eye piece in and..... nothing just darkness, I asked the misses to have a look she could see nothing. I had lined the spotter scope up several times in the house over the last few days, (like a kid with a new toy), could I have knocked it when setting up. Let’s check, lamppost down the road shall check on this, huh blackness again, had I smashed the mirror or something, damaged it in my eagerness for wonder ...no I had left the cover over the end (Hangs head in shame), the misses has told everyone, surprised she has not made an account on here to tell everyone "look at him with his big expensive telescope doesn't even know how to look through it".

Anyhow...

The moon was mine now, had only been outside for a little under two hours (so need to buy some thermals). At last I pointed the scope at the moon and....... yeah it looked ok, wasn't anything special, in fact was a bit two bright made my eyes water. Let’s try another eye piece might get better, no that’s worse really blurry, another, o yeah now were talking that’s clear look at the depth and texture. I'd been using the wrong eye pieces. Got the right one now time for the. 2X barlow. I had read all about them increases magnification it’s the daddy, box open in the scope my correct eye piece in and what do I get...... blurry moon. .Grr........what going on, just what, I must be missing something.... (Yeah apparently it’s a brain).... you can adjust the focus with dials on the telescope (just a note all my eyepieces work ). The moon looked crystal clear now so i started checking out different views of the moon still a bit too bright but looking sweet I will be taking some photos , but thats getting a bit ahead of myself need sort out how to operating the scope properly never mind a camera.

By now It’s getting on so decide to go in but stepping back from the scope I see through a gap in the clouds a star

I'm going for it, got the focus stuff sorted, lens caps off, the scopes (which i have now named daisy) is all set up, it would be a waste not to have a look at a star. So, bang i get it right in the middle of the spotter scope and ..it wasn't a star no no no... Was way way way better, it was a planet, I had discovered a planet, (I quickly named it Jupiter). Now I wasn’t quite prepared for this sensation I mean I had seen plenty of pictures of Jupiter but somehow this was different I was looking at it myself in real time I could see bands of colour, quick quick wake the kids up they need to see this "no its gone one in the morning love" the misses shouts out the bedroom window (but the way she said love made me think she wanted to kill me not really love me). I stayed out for another hour traking it acrossthe sky, I'm still on a high. It all clouded again now and busting to show people I mean the feeling you get is quite surreal.

I mean after all it was a great night even though I was cold and kept getting things wrong I still discoverd jupiter and it looked to state the obvious out of this world. Hooked is an understatment.

So even though I ignored all the advice I’ve been reading (just had to go out and have a look) i was hoping for some more, what’s the best eyepiece/ conditions etc. etc. with my awesome new telescope (aka Daisy) to gain the best views of my newly discovered planet.

hope thats better for reading need to find out to workcomputer aswell :)

ffs got eyestrain reading the first post standing at the end of the room reading the text with my 10x50s, then scrolling down here it is in large print which is what I need at my age!

Enjoyed the post, had a chuckle. I haven't even got a scope yet but imagined myself doing the same things lol.

Cracking write up mate , there's tons of good solid hard learned advice on here , but you can't beat just wading in and having a go cos that's where you will start learning too . Your other half a lot politer than mine would have been ;)

Archived