Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nexstar SLT 127 Help

Evening all,

I just brought a nexstar SLT 127 last week and only just managed to use it outside this evening. Upon using it I could barely get the scope to move up and down, left and right was no problem and quite quick.

About 15 or so minutes later it barely moved up and down at all, I've gone back inside, removed the scope itself and put brand new fresh battery's in but still left and right is no problem, just up and down.

Any ideas?

Is there any balancing to be done with the 127 or does it only fix to the mount in one position? If the scope is heavy on one end the motors may struggle, but that would usually be only in one direction up or down, not both.

Andy - there is an element of balancing needed but as it's on an Alt-Az mount it's not easy to do. I used to ensure that the dove plate was mounted pretty centrally to ensure that it didn't put too much pressure on the motors.

That being said, I suspect that's not the problem. The mounts eat batteries, and I found that within an hour or so (especially when it's cold) I'd need to change them. After only a week I invested in a powertank. Skywatcher do them and if you look on FLO's website they sell them. Maplins do a version as well which is a little cheaper and many on here swear by them. They'll give you a whole nights viewing and then some from just one charge. make sure you keep it charged up though!

The only other thing it might be is some junk in the motors. I never took mine apart to check, but I'm sure someone on here will be able to advise you about that if it isn't just a lack of power issue...

Richard

Ive had 2 of these mounts and still regularly use one. Is there any noise at all of motors up and down? Can you use up and down in any of the menu settings? If not, its a fault unfortunately. Even with a very unbalanced scope, the motors would still work as long as the battery is OK as the movement has a clutch which would slip.

Sent from my AT300 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for help guys, i did put some completely new batteries in and it worked ok, my other "new" ones must have been old or something. Must just be when the batteries start to die the up and down motor doesnt work as well. Do others experience this?

May look at the link above also as dont think it hurts to check its not too tight.

I've been looking at a mains supply as I am always near a power suppy when I'm viewing generally. Celestrons handbook recommends a 2.5 amp 12v supply mains adapter.

In looking on telescope sites I have found a 5amp 12v mains adapter that says its recommended for skywatcher / celestron's, would the fact that its 5 amp do any damage if celestron recommend 2.5 amp?

I've been looking at a mains supply as I am always near a power suppy when I'm viewing generally. Celestrons handbook recommends a 2.5 amp 12v supply mains adapter.

In looking on telescope sites I have found a 5amp 12v mains adapter that says its recommended for skywatcher / celestron's, would the fact that its 5 amp do any damage if celestron recommend 2.5 amp?

Very glad it was the battery, the slt is a good mount. 5a would be fine, anything over 2.5a but make sure it's regulated. Sealed batteries work great too

Sent from my AT300 using Tapatalk 2

Archived