Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Delos 10mm an eyepiece for all?

alan potts

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Avtar,

I have done a review on the 6mm Delos/ BGO/ Nagler zoom as well and I am sure if you dig that one out your shopping list will have grown and your wallet will need to put on weight too.

BTW Said I was done once, now I am looking at 11mm & 8mm TV plossl, for planets mainly, I want to see what they have to offer.

Alan

Alan I read your review of the 6mm Delos a while back, thats why its on my shopping list.

Although having said that I still seem to be in two minds whether to go for the 6mm Delos or the 7mm Nirvana.

If there isn't much between the two in terms of performance then its the price that may decide the outcome.

Decisions decisions .

Avtar

I know John speaks highly of the Nirvana/ WO range and has said it is sad that there is only 4 in the complete spread. I have never even seen one so I have no idea but the man knows what he is talking about and he has owned a 7mm Nagler. The only thing I don't like about TeleVues is the price, but if on a shopping list you can always wait it out to see if a S/H one shows up, that way you protect your investment.

I have many times compaired my 7mm Nagler with the 6mm Delos and Ethos and the newer ones are a slightly better but I am running short of words to tell you just how slight the slight is. The Nagler has a little pincushion distortion which is not a fault, just part of the design to make the very edge razor sharp, as far as I know all Naglers have this . In this respect Delos are better, Ethos too. Now as far as I can tell the Nirvana is almost as good as the Nagler, so reading between the lines the Delos will be a little better but not massively, never think that, differences are subtle and often take good conditions and practice to even see some of the faults.

Alan

Alan I read your review of the 6mm Delos a while back, thats why its on my shopping list.

Although having said that I still seem to be in two minds whether to go for the 6mm Delos or the 7mm Nirvana.

If there isn't much between the two in terms of performance then its the price that may decide the outcome.

Decisions decisions .

Avtar

If you are looking at the second hand market, an looking to buy Delos second hand the typical going rate is around 200 pounds it seems, sometimes a bit less. If you are prepared for that kind of outlay there is also the 7mm pentax XW range too with 70 degree FOV. I would not overlook those if you are after the same quality, some going for about 185 on AB&S at the mo,  and sometimes can be got a bit cheaper than the Delos range. I got min efor  good price

I've never looked through a Delos 6mm.  No doubt they are just as good, but the 7mm XW is superb I think and right up there by all accounts most will say with the Delos in the shorter focal lengths. Most differences largely coming down to ergonomics and other small things.

I've just read a review of the 6mm Nirvana on The Sky at Night Magazine which has slightly put me off the Nirvana.

When viewing the Double Double they had a problem in splitting it cleanly unless it was in the centre of the FOV.

There was also a review of the 7mm T6 Nagler and there was no problem with that.

I myself have never had any problems splitting the Double Double using my ed120 with the Baader Zoom.

Alan I've read your excellent review of the 7mm Nagler and 7mm Pentax XW and my thoughts are which ever of the eyepieces ( Delos, Nagler or Pentax) comes up for sale on SGL or ABS I will go for it.

I really can't go wrong with any of these.

Avtar

I've just read a review of the 6mm Nirvana on The Sky at Night Magazine which has slightly put me off the Nirvana.

When viewing the Double Double they had a problem in splitting it cleanly unless it was in the centre of the FOV.

There was also a review of the 7mm T6 Nagler and there was no problem with that.

I myself have never had any problems splitting the Double Double using my ed120 with the Baader Zoom.

Alan I've read your excellent review of the 7mm Nagler and 7mm Pentax XW and my thoughts are which ever of the eyepieces ( Delos, Nagler or Pentax) comes up for sale on SGL or ABS I will go for it.

I really can't go wrong with any of these.

Avtar

You must mean the 7mm Nirvana Avtar - they don't make a 6mm !

I've owned / used the Nirvana's in all focal lengths except the 7mm. The others seemed excellent to be honest, very close to Nagler performance indeed, for quite a lot less £'s. I'd be surprised if the 7mm was any worse.

For what it's worth, I'd rate the XW's (and the Delos in all likelihood) as very slightly better than the Naglers of equivalent focal length for planetary and lunar viewing. 

John, yes I meant to say 7mm Nirvana.

I think its because I seem to have the 6mm Delos on my mind that I made the slip up.

I was quite surprised at the findings of The Sky at Night magazine as all other reviews I had read were really good in favour of the Nirvana.

Avtar

Whats odd is that the William Optics UWAN 7mm scored better than the Nirvana 7mm - having compared these two types in other focal lengths I believe they are exactly the same eyepiece !. 

Maybe the Nirvana example used for the test was a sub-par one ?. It does happen and they can only review whats provided.

I seem to recall that the Nagler 7mm was outpointed in that test by the Meade 5000 UWA 8.8mm and the Celestron Axiom 7mm.

John and Avtar,

I read this Sky at Night  review and I think the Meade 8.8mm came above the 7mm Nagler largely because it was a good deal less money. If I recall the 6.7mm was part of the same test.

Next week I should have the 8.8mm which I will put up against the 9mm Nagler. ( weather permitting and yes it is still raining)

It makes you wonder though if WO and Nirvana are exactly the same quality of optic as there is a bit in the pricing I believe. I have said many times ExSc and Meade were the same optics and I think most believe that as they did at the time all come from JOC. Some say the ExSc had different coatings, maybe, we know they had a gas inside them though I could not see how that effects anything optically. The Meades came out before the ExSc range I believe, that was certainly the way it appeared from here in Bulgaria, Meade being around a fair while beforehand.  There seems to be a lack of type of review we write putting one against another, not saying we do things right by the way but it would be nice to read something like that.

Alan 

Archived