PV Optics

Looking (again) at OO UK VX dobs , I am wondering if the PV optics upgrade from 1/6 to1/8 or 1/10 are worth the extra outlay. Is 1/6 better than the optics you get from say , a Skywatcher Flextube. Would 1/6 PV be adequate from my light polluted Stanmore back garden or do the upgrades make enough difference to be justifiable ?

Thanks in advance

Vlebo

...if your only ever going to use the scope in a light polluted sky you wont notice the difference between 1/4 pv and 1/10 tbh.

I do not think this is true. You need good optics to view well at high power so particularly for the moon and planets, which are largely unaffected by light pollution

My mirrors 1/10, I am very pleased with the views. I doubt I could normally tell the difference if it were 1/8 or 1/6 as I have to deal with light pollution as well. I took the view that as I'd get a certificate with the zygo test I'd have no doubt I'd definitely have a good mirror, whereas with other scopes it might be a bit hit and miss. So I paid up for the difference on the basis that it was a long term investment and over the years It would be worth it. Hope this helps

I do not think this is true. You need good optics to view well at high power so particularly for the moon and planets, which are largely unaffected by light pollution

This may well be true I get fantastic views of Jupiter and Saturn when they're in reasonably placed in the sky

Some people wont want to pay the extra money though and thats more what the op asked ;)

If not too much extra i would pay for the 1/10 pv but in general its not actually a good value option for anything other than piece of mind :)

Agreed

Orion Optics mirrors also have the Hilux coatings. I don't fully buy their claims about how much more reflective it is over other coatings, although I think there is some difference, but it does seem to have a longer life than standard coatings. When I moved down from a 12" Meade Lightbridge to a 10" Orion Optics with 1/6th wave PV primary and Hilux coated mirrors I can't say I really noticed the drop in aperture that much.

My feeling is that better quality optics (this goes for all scope types) should be able deliver benefits when it comes to high contrast, high resolution observing such as the planets. If the conditions allow and if the scope is well collimated (important points !) better quality optics should support higher magnifications without image degradation and improved contrast because more of the light is being focused there you want it to be (hence the higher Strehl rating).

I'm thinking here of the very high magnifications that Shane (Moonshane) uses with his dobs with great results according to his reports :smiley:

Interesting points. I suppose it boils down to paying the extra and knowing you have as many points in your favour to aid in getting those views that come when all the other factors fall into place.

Archived