NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Red dot finder and a standard finder scope

Hello, me again.

My explorer 200 came with an 8 x 50 finderscope which I find really hard to use as it cannot tell if I am looking in the right part of the sky (stupid huh!)

Anyway my 130PM has a red dot finder which I switched over to the 200 and it was so easy. I therefore want to put my RDF on my scope as well as the standard finderscope.

I have seen from other post that this is possible but how would I mount the RDF bracket. I do not want to start drilling holes in the OTA in case I ruin it. Cold I just velcro it!!!!

I have seen from other post that this is possible but how would I mount the RDF bracket. I do not want to start drilling holes in the OTA in case I ruin it. Cold I just velcro it!!!!

Hi,

Double sided tape or those double sided sticky pads would do the trick I guess. I reckon there would be too much movement using velcro.

John

I'm used to a rdf and last night had to use the optical finder on the VC. I gave up trying to find even simple stuff like M13/92 after a very short time. Things are just not where they should be... I think you'll find that swapping from one to the other on the scope at the same time will be too much for your brain to get around when the rdf shows things the right way around (as in the books) and the optical finders are all over the place realtively speaking. For this reason I'd suggest you use one or the other rather than both at the same time.

Arthur

I thought both would be beneficial as I could use the RDF to get in the general vicinity of the DSO but due to the fact that you can only line this up with visible stars (visible to the eye that is) it would be helpful to then hone in on the finer detail with the standard finder.

I note books such as turn left at orion usually describe what to look out for in the finderscope but I could not work out if I was even looking at the right part of the sky with just the finder, but the RDF put me in the right area.

I could be wrong.

You could get an RDF, or you can get a Wixey! It tells you the Altitude you're pointed at (to 1/5 of moon diameter) which helps confirm you are looking at the right portion of the sky if you have the coordinates handy.

Plus you can use it as a spirit level for DIY jobs.

I have used both Velcro and double sided tape to hold finders temporarily in place. I found that velcro wobbled, and double sided tape tended to fall off in the middle of a session. When I decided on a mounting spot, I gritted my teeth and drilled holes into the ota and screwed down the finder. Much better.

Archived