Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Flycap2 or Sharp Cap with Firefly MV Mono

SnakeyJ

Just experimenting with the Firefly MV on planetary imaging and have it working on my Windows 7 x64 laptop (f/w 1.63 and Flycap 2.4.2.8).

I have Flycap working ok, but can't get the firefly recognised by Sharpcap. As there don't seem to be any options for a red/night view in Flycap I would prefer to stick with Sharpcap.

Do I need a different driver to work with Sharpcap? Would using sharpcap limit the camera control options, or is Flycap better in any other ways?

There seem to be quite a lot of users on this camera, due to availability of heavilly discounted stock but not so much in the forums about using them - Any tips, tricks or thoughts sharpcap vs flycap2 much appreciated.

Jake

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just experimenting with the Firefly MV on planetary imaging and have it working on my Windows 7 x64 laptop (f/w 1.63 and Flycap 2.4.2.8).

I have Flycap working ok, but can't get the firefly recognised by Sharpcap. As there don't seem to be any options for a red/night view in Flycap I would prefer to stick with Sharpcap.

Do I need a different driver to work with Sharpcap? Would using sharpcap limit the camera control options, or is Flycap better in any other ways?

There seem to be quite a lot of users on this camera, due to availability of heavilly discounted stock but not so much in the forums about using them - Any tips, tricks or thoughts sharpcap vs flycap2 much appreciated.

Jake

I'm pretty sure that SharpCap is only designed to work with webcams and basler cameras so won't be able to access your firefly.

FireCapture (http://firecapture.wonderplanets.de/) is a very nice piece of open-source and free software that should work with your firefly (and just about every other camera going) and has some very nice features to boot.

FireCapture (http://firecapture.wonderplanets.de/) is a very nice piece of open-source and free software that should work with your firefly (and just about every other camera going) and has some very nice features to boot.

Thanks Dephelis for the explanation and link - I've had a look at the FireCapture site and it certainly seems to offer the features. It does say that it only support x86 drivers for the ptgrey cameras, no x64 support for these so far, but could try it via a vm or dual boot. I shall definitely download and have a good play with this.

Thanks again - Jake

Thanks Delphis and Cath - I have downloaded the Beta, so will give this a try tonight and will report back. Probably won't get any real observing in tonight, or perhaps the next week looking at the forecast, so lots of chance to play in the warm ;)

Received my cameras yesterday and have them working with FlyCapture in win7 64-bit at the moment, but it looks like FireCapture wants the 32-bit drivers installing to allow it to work.

No major stress though. I really want to get them working with Linux so if those drivers work I shall be very pleased.

James

How long did it take James for your cameras to arrive I wonder? .. presume you bought the firefly mv's off the ebayer?

I did. Took about a week, but I believe they only post things out on Thursdays. The Post Office stung me for the VAT, too :(

James

Darn :(

How much per camera would you say?

I had a message saying they dispatched the one I ordered on Tuesday.

I think it was just under £10 for the VAT on two cameras, plus £8 handling for the Post Office. I'd have been a few quid better off paying CA$10 for each to be shipped individually I think as they'd have been below the limit individually.

James

Shheeesh, they've put another $10 on since I ordered mine (caught it just in time). They have almost doubled the price since they first advertised them. They are making a big profit now!

Probably noticed they're selling a fair few and want to see what price the market will bear :(

James

Hmm, have this working great in Flycap, but still no joy getting it to play with Firecap on Win7 x64 even with the x32 and x64 versions of Flycap installed! I might have to try older versions.

The new beta of firecap 2.2 build 37 adds direct control of the camera registers to increase gain to +24dB http://firecapture.wonderplanets.de/betas.html. See thread http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5316325/page/6/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/all/vc/1

Archived