Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

REPORT - First East Anglian Meeting

Dear All,

Today was the first meet of the East Anglian members.

There were 5 in all, but it’s a start: -

Chris (Peonic)

Dave (Centroid)

Prasad (Prasadka)

Rog (Celescope)

….and me!!

Venue: -

We had a good look around the facility which is a brand new village hall in a rural area just outside Ipswich, with minimal light pollution. There are virtually no neighbours to disturb. It has a committee room (large enough for 20), kitchen, large function hall (Rog has offered dancing lessons on cloudy nights) and importantly a south facing patio with views almost down to the horizon. Dave also estimates a 270 degree sky visibility.

Discussion: -

We felt it important that this be an SGL East Anglian members meet, we have no desire to become a local independent astronomy club.

Obviously, we need some more attendees and we will be canvassing, i.e. I have a couple of local colleagues who know of SGL (one is a member but doesn’t post very often).

We discussed what we want to get out our proposed meets.

Obviously, observation/imaging sessions are first on the list but we had previously mentioned tutorials and this would be a perfect backup plan for cloudy nights. Such topics as Collimation, Star Hopping, Imaging Techniques, Photoshop Processing, etc.

Dave has said he can book the hall at very short notice and whilst the meets would be prearranged there would be scope (sorry) for ad hoc obs/image sessions should the weather look favourable.

I am sure the others will add to this (in other words things I have forgotten or where I can’t read my own writing!!!) but the bottom line is that we need more people. It is a bit out of the way for some folk but the venue is superb. Well worth a visit even if you pop along once in a while.

All the best

Bill£ :smiley:

Archived