NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

first moon picture with telescope

Erquy

Coincidence then! And not bad neither

Also my first prime focus! Í was a bit overexposed. What ISO/exposure time did you use??

(not much time for me to experiment.... -10C!! not much willing staying out much!)

Regards

David

HI Matt,

ISO 100 and expo 1/3 sec. But too much exposed, I shall rather been to ISO 200 or 400 andor shorter time (1/10 or 1/100) I think? It was freezing cold (-10C!!) and I preferred not to use my laptop in those conditions outside with EOS utility, hence no time to experiment directly.

for cresant moon compared to full moon, I guess higher ISO shall be welcome . Anyhow a beginner input, above is my very first shot of the moon through my telescope (next time, I will try as mentioned above + higher resolutions and more pictures to stack -I used JPEG medium size on EOS for this 1st trial -to make it short for processing... at least I know I am on a good track on what to improve!)

a link to some advice on lunar (full and cresciant) and DSLR

http://home.hiwaay.net/~krcool/Astro/moon/howtophoto/index.htm

Hi!

Well indeed I got the virus... and tonight was -12-13CC... and went out for 1,5 hours (with a break in the middel)!!

But 3rd evening experimenting in 9 days. This time more on the set up of the skymax 102 synscan AZ goto (perfect alignement from 1st shot, I was impressed then how exact it could find targets and how perfect it was staying right in the middle, no need to adjust (I could see Jupiter moving out only slowly when using a 10 EP mm+ 2 * barlow! So I enjoyed this time observation, moon, jupiter, Pleiades,

Unfortunately, then wanted to shot, but I only managed to set the camera + laptop (1st time set up together, above moon picture was taken without laptop), and then I could feel that the mount has difficulties to move with the camera on it and the hand control started to blink and basically very difficult to read... I guess the batteries may start to be tired and at this temperature, it can´t help! At least now a bit more prepared working with laptop, as I could play around it for working out better focus, adjusting camera set up and so on, (clearly way easier than without as I tried before!!), but then I prefer to stop (my hands were starting freezing!!)

Well a very nice observation night (really clear sky, fantastic!). Pictures will come for another evening! Sounds like we´ll need to wait mid next week (from tomorrow night, temp will go up to 0, -5 and we will have snow for the rest of the week, then clearing up from Monday (and hopefully this time, not that cold!!)

Hi

Yes the video was take using the DSLR EO1100d (prime focus, directly screwed at the back of scope) but not in video mode of the camera: the camera was set in manual mode like for pictures but connected to laptop and the video is capture by Movrec on the laptop. I find Movrec really easy to use and you can adjust ISO and exposure to get right contrast etc... (very limited adjustment possible if you use EOS utility in video mode, you cannot adjust manually iso etc). And it is directly in AVI which makes things also easy to work out in registrax/avoid conversion. Also movrec can capture at *5X zoom tool (you loose a bit in resolution, but not too bad). After that one, I tried Jupiter with the 5* zoom, but clouds came in so no time for any good capture, but I could focus and adjust setting to see it right (Iso800 + 1/25sec or something like that). Next time with a barlow*2 + 5* zoom, I shall get something working nice for Jupiter... Also the *5 is nice tool to get focus (work like liveview of eos utility basically)

that was my first time trying Movrec, but for sure I will use that one!!

Definately going to have to try my hand a bit of a lunar imaging when we next have a clear sky and the Moon is about. Havent actually been out for about 2 weeks. Well tell a lie, i was out last week but did Photography the entire time until the clouds came in. Never actually put an EP into the scope lol.

Archived