NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I want to rival Hubble with my Heratige 130p

I can dream, can't I?

Seriously though, what imaging options do I have with a 130p dobson telescope?

I'm guessing that my dSLR may be a bit too heavy. However I do have a Canon S90, which is a sexy little camera and almost as good as my dSLR when viewing JPEGS on screen.

I am also guessing that the Canon compact will be a no-go, so what other options web-cam wise do I have as well?

Cheers

Hi Lemming ...

I own a Heritage 130 too. I've tried webcam imaging, and it's not easy - mainly due to the helical focusser. You need to leave the webcam loose while you focus and then tighten it back up afterwards. The one thing that is useful though is the ability to adjust the distance between the primary and secondary mirrors if you're having trouble bringing your webcam to focus.

Have fun :grin:

With a dobsonian imaging of just about every sort is not relevant.

You have no tracking at all and a manual nudge just results in a blurred image.

You need an motor driven Alt/Az mount for planetary imaging at least or better a motor driven equitorial mount.

But imaging and dobsonians are not a combination.

The dobosian mount is an inexpensive visual mount and scope, it is not applicable to imaging.

Its a nut on a thread where you twist the nut along the thread clockwise or anticlockwise. Very hightec.

Strange as it may seem - I quite like it, especially if you put some PTFE (Plumber's) Tape around the thread which improves the action quite dramatically :)

Archived