Registax6 Problem

Wednesday I filmed Jupiter through an SPC880 flashed to 900 with a Skyliner 200p dob. I took four films and processed them through PIPP. The problems started when I tried to Align the frames in Registax6. I can set the align points easily but when I click "Align" the Alignment will get to 84% and just stop! What could be the cause of this?

Registax 6 is notorious for not liking any drift at all in the .avi you are processing (I suspect that is why you are using PIPP?). I would first check that you have Jupiter on all the frames - it may be trying to align on "nothing" and getting itself confused? I would also suggest trying Registax 5 or, even better, Autostakkert2 (freeware) which is really easy to use - if you want a bit of help there is a very good tutorial or ask here as there are several people who now use it regularly.

I would first check that you have Jupiter on all the frames - it may be trying to align on "nothing" and getting itself confused?

PIPP will discard any frames without a planet completely in the frame so this should not be an issue.

How many frames are you trying to stack Ant? Have you cropped the frame size in PIPP?

Cheers,

Chris

Okay, so that is not that many frames, Registax should be able to handle thousands of frames if the planet has been centred in each frame.

You really want to get much longer captures to get enough frames to stack. Also, running you SPC900 above 10 fps will cause lossy compression to be used, this is not a good idea.

I tried autostakkert! 2 and I had no luck. I got an image but it was blurry. I think the problems where that:

1. Jupiter wasn't centred in every frame.
  2. Didn't have enough frames.

I think I may have to wait until I can get an equatorial platform for my dob.

Archived