Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Snow advice

laser_jock99

In view of the possible snow fall we may (or may not) recieve this winter, some tips for protecting your obsy:

1) I had a heavy snowfall once the sheer weight of which caused the roof to sag somewhat so that it could almost not be opened. After that I always leave a hefty wooden prop inside holding the roof up in case of a repeat snowfall. Clear off any snow as soon as you can.

2) Clear your runners/rails while the snow is still soft. Brushing off soft snow is easier than chipping off re-frozen ice in the dark when the cloud breaks and you're desperate to get the roof opened!

I think my obsy roof would stand several feet of snow - it withstood 14 stone concentrated over less than a square foot :D Clearing off the snow from the running rails is a good idea though. I would probably clear the snow off the roof though before moving the roll off.

I think my obsy roof would stand several feet of snow - it withstood 14 stone concentrated over less than a square foot :D Clearing off the snow from the running rails is a good idea though. I would probably clear the snow off the roof though before moving the roll off.

I can move around on top of my roof also- but the longer you leave a roof weighted down, the less likely it is to spring back into position. Clearing the snow off before opening is a given of course- otherwise it'll be harder to move and snow could fall inside!

Road salt deals with de-icing the rails very effectively if you do forget. You don't need much and it takes a minute or two to work. I keep meaning to have some batons to keep snow out of the rails. They'd hang out of the way on little chains if ever I got round to making them!

Olly

Road salt deals with de-icing the rails very effectively if you do forget. You don't need much and it takes a minute or two to work. I keep meaning to have some batons to keep snow out of the rails. They'd hang out of the way on little chains if ever I got round to making them!

Olly

I'll give the salt a miss- don't want my aluminium rails corroding! I suppose standard car de-icer would work?

Not quite as bad as that here in The Blackdown Hills in East Devon. We have a foot of lying snow but the roads and major lanes have been cleared. Still bitterly cold and a couple of degrees C below freezing. I have a fan heater going in my obsy with the dividing wall door open to let heat get to the scopes etc. No snow has got in despite strong winds and the inside seemed pretty dry before I put the heater on. I did have residual heating from a tower PC which is running 24/7.

I'll give the salt a miss- don't want my aluminium rails corroding! I suppose standard car de-icer would work?

Should do! Just be aware some of them can react with some rubbers and plastics.

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Archived