Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

aligning red dot finder scope- help needed

Hi First forum post,

I am trying to align the red dot finder on my nexstar 6SE the problem im having is the adjustment screws/thumbwheel on the finderscope just wont get me to the target im aiming at in the main scope. the rear adjustment screw has reached its limit so i cant get an accurate alignment. Any ideas on how I can fix this

thanks

mlp2k

I used to have a nexstar and never had this problem.so im a bit stumped. Is it tight in the shoe I don't suppose there is any chance its moving as you turn it? The only other thing i can think of which is unlikely is are you turning the right knob? The one at the front takes it side to side and the one at the back takes it up and down because of the way the finder scope is mounted both axis move in a 45 degree axis in relation to the main scope so to move the dot out you need to move both wheels

I have the 6se and I had a bit of trouble with the red dot finder at first. After a bit of messing about I am now happy with it, although the on/off knob has come loose. It is a little plasticky and cheap, but it just about does the job.

Maybe you should take it of and put it back on again. There should be plenty of play in it to adjust it so that it is very accurate. It may be easier to calibrate it during the day on a distant target.

I replaced the red dot finder with a 9 x 50 finderscope on my NexStar 6SE. Now, if the GOTO doesn't properly center the object I am searching for there is a good chance that I will be able to see it in the 5.6 deg field of the finderscope and then slew to it.

I have troubles on my 8SE, I've tried re-fitting the RDF about 4 times so far, each time I try not to tighten it too much so I can have some play in it, but the RDF is always way off to the top right. I'll probably attempt the tips in here by putting a small sliver of plastic in the shoe to try and get it aligned.

Sods law,

I noticed that if i unscrew the actual RDF mounting plate on the scope there is a lot of play/movement available. I put a piece of card under the actual mount baseplate and this has given me enough leeway to get the dot on target. 5 mins later doorbell rings and my rigel has just arrived! great service from FLO. Still think the adjustment screws on the red dot are a pain in the proverbial. Will see how i get on with the Rigel. Double sided sticky tape here we come! Thanks for all the replies

Archived