Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help! EQ3-2 mount setup

Hi,

I have read the manual and see youtube videos but I stumped on a really basic EQ3-2 mount setup problem. The instructions say "Align the metal dowel on the tripod head with the gap between the azimuthal adjustment knobs". Looking at the underside of the tripod head there is a central hole where obviously the underneath knurled knob and screw tightens the assembly. But there is also a round hole to the side of the head which looks like it inserts into the big metal dowel sticking up from the base. But it won't slide into this dowel because the hole is stopped off by a rubber stopper.

If I drop the head onto the mount OUTSIDE of that hole the head settle on the mount but can now rotate....but surely the head should not rotate at all but should be static. I must say I find the instructions extremely confusing but maybe I'm just being thick! Could someone please clarify. Thanks very much!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if you have the same instructions as myself but if you have look at page 3. The bolts labelled 8 should be slackened and this part goes over the spigot at the edge of the tripod, then tighten the captive screw with the knurled knob underneath the top of the tripod into the mount. If I have understood you correctly the hole with the rubber stopper is actually a round spirit level when viewed from the top.

I have explained this as best I can but if you still have a problem come back and I'm sure that between us and other members of the forum we will get you up and running.

Had the same problem myself. Managed to put head on wrong way round. Just remember the two black knurled knobs should be above the large N on the mount . These actualy turn the head when polar aligning so as Parus Major points out the head swivels round (but only an inch or two). Hope this helps.

Thanks chaps. I get that now..... the assembly drops in line so that the metal dowel goes in the space between the two BLACK knobbed screws threading either side of the NORTH facing bit. I was just surprised why there was quite a bit of play before tightening those screws quite tightly, and the circular "hole" underside of the mount does nothing.

BUT...BUT......oh blast.....NOW I just cannot see how the 150p scope attaches to the mount. Included is a long thin blacl mount which fits on the north/south axis of the tripod assemlbly, with I assume the raised edges pointing upwards and two screws, one large and one 45 degree little screw which seem to just grip the mount. I've taken the tube rings off the scope as instructed and tried to attach the rings to the mount. But there is only ONE screw with a large black turner to attach the scope, not two. But surely there should be two...one at each end. Furthermore there are four little screws pointing up at each corner of the mount and I just don't understand what they are for! They just get in the way. If I can't find the second black ended screw I can't see how to attach the scope as one end will flop around. Also, I can't see how that black ended screw works. Does it go underneath and screw upwards? No, that doesn't work. Does it rest between the sope rings and the mount, and if so how does it tighten.

I must say the instructions are absolutely woeful for the non-mechanically minded. It just says "attach the scope rings to the mount, then thread the scope through the rings".

PLEASE HELP!! Thank you.

But there is only ONE screw with a large black turner to attach the scope, not two.

Forget that one for now, that it for piggy-backing a camera and has nothing to do with attaching the telescope. Have a look at the opposite side of the tube rings and you will see another threaded hole - this is the one that is used to attach the tube rings to the dovetail bar ('a long thin black mount which fits on the north/south axis of the tripod').

Oops. Doh. The mount is already attached, so I understand now....but the addon mount must be for the finderscope and that one only has ONE screw and ONE black tightener with a flange. Is that right? There are two large holes at either end of that mount so presumably there is a screw and black tightener missing? Sorry about this!

Thanks chaps. I get that now..... the assembly drops in line so that the metal dowel goes in the space between the two BLACK knobbed screws threading either side of the NORTH facing bit. I was just surprised why there was quite a bit of play before tightening those screws quite tightly, and the circular "hole" underside of the mount does nothing.

There is quite a bit of lateral movement so that when you come to polar align (that's a whole heap of fun 'til you get the hang of it :p ) you can move the scope in azimuth (east/west) to get the mount lined up with Polaris.

I promise that we will get you sorted, just take your time. When you have done this a couple of times you will wonder what the problem was.

Good luck and keep asking questions.

...Now with scope attached. I assume that generally speaking, after first polar alignment the normal position would be for the scope to be angled to the right and the counterweights angled to the left, assuming I'm pointing the scope from north to east? Thanks so much for the lighthing quick answers.

Oops. Doh. The mount is already attached, so I understand now....but the addon mount must be for the finderscope and that one only has ONE screw and ONE black tightener with a flange. Is that right? There are two large holes at either end of that mount so presumably there is a screw and black tightener missing? Sorry about this!

Like me when I received my set up there was one dovetail already attached to the scope rings and a spare in the packaging for the tripod/mount.

To attach the finder you should find you have a small "O"- ring hooked round the finder. This needs to be seated in the groove which is about half way along the finder scope. You then insert the finder scope backwards into the holder so that the eyepiece end is at the end where the adjustment screws are. You will need to slacken off the two black threaded screws and pull the steel sprung loaded adjuster out to give clearance to get the scope in. The finder bracket then slips upwards into the slot on the optical tube and is held in place by tightening the thumbscrew.

....back to the main mount and the dowell inserted between the NORTH facing side screws for the small adjustment...but when these two are very very tight there is still play in the mount. Surely this should be rock solid after a polar align?

...Now with scope attached. I assume that generally speaking, after first polar alignment the normal position would be for the scope to be angled to the right and the counterweights angled to the left, assuming I'm pointing the scope from north to east? Thanks so much for the lighthing quick answers.

Sounds about right.

Any more questions just come back. It really is a steep learning curve to start with but I promise it all becomes much easier in no time.

Glad we got you sorted.

Like me when I received my set up there was one dovetail already attached to the scope rings and a spare in the packaging for the tripod/mount.

To attach the finder you should find you have a small "O"- ring hooked round the finder. This needs to be seated in the groove which is about half way along the finder scope. You then insert the finder scope backwards into the holder so that the eyepiece end is at the end where the adjustment screws are. You will need to slacken off the two black threaded screws and pull the steel sprung loaded adjuster out to give clearance to get the scope in. The finder bracket then slips upwards into the slot on the optical tube and is held in place by tightening the thumbscrew.

Yep, got that. Thank you!

....back to the main mount and the dowell inserted between the NORTH facing side screws for the small adjustment...but when these two are very very tight there is still play in the mount. Surely this should be rock solid after a polar align?

Have you tightened the thumb screw under the tripod top?

Have you tightened the thumb screw under the tripod top?

Ah, ooops it was a little loose. Now tightened and mount steady. I see now you don't have to force the other two side screws since the underneath thumb screw does the main tightening. Thank you!

I'm so grateful for all this advice. Hope one day I can return the favour. There is a large black piece which looks like a lens holder with no lens with two small gripping screws. Is this some kind of focal extender? If so what is it used for?

Ok...balancing. Am I right to balance first by exending weights and after that sliding the scope back and forth to stop its pendulum effect in side axis?

Spot on. I found it helpful to put a small piece of masking tape to mark my position after balancing then you know where to mount everything next time.

I'm so grateful for all this advice. Hope one day I can return the favour. There is a large black piece which looks like a lens holder with no lens with two small gripping screws. Is this some kind of focal extender? If so what is it used for?

You should also have a similar piece but smaller which fits this. Using the larger piece by itself allows the use of 2" eyepieces and the two to-gether the use of 1.25" eyepieces which is what is suplied with the scope.

You should also have a similar piece but smaller which fits this. Using the larger piece by itself allows the use of 2" eyepieces and the two to-gether the use of 1.25" eyepieces which is what is suplied with the scope.

Excellent. OK Thank you. I think I have 1.25 Eps so I use the two together. Makes sense. Thank you.

Good tip. Thank you. I notice your control cable is long at the front. Does it matter (if I have two) which one is longer than the other. At the moment I have the side control long and the front control short. They "squelch" a bit sound-wise but I take this to be normal?

Good tip. Thank you. I notice your control cable is long at the front. Does it matter (if I have two) which one is longer than the other. At the moment I have the side control long and the front control short. They "squelch" a bit sound-wise but I take this to be normal?

once your polar aligned you tend to tweak the ra more using the long one on the dec axis out the front i don't get mixed up.

Archived