SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Absolute beginner

Hello everyone,

Always been fascinated by what's up and out there, and have finally decided to invest some time and money into star gazing. (watching bbc last week kinda pushed me over the edge).

Any ways any info on what to buy and why would be a great help!

Got about £3000 to splash and i have been looking at the "Meade LX200acf 10" uhtc Telescope WO focusser.

I'm of average intelligence and am not put off by collumation and the set up of telescopes, but if the above scope is a bit too much then please let me know.

Take your time doing your homework before you purchase a scope. Different scopes are better for different things, take your time before deciding. Many people on here will give some great advice so dont rush into buying just yet.

Seriously, if I had 3k to spend and was starting from scratch I would also take my time. There is enough money there to get it pretty nice but first figure what you may want to capture, that maybe the hardest decision.

Thanks for the comments , i was pretty much thinking the same thing, some people may be trying to sell their product to me. Gonna take my time and study hard first.

The Meade's a nice scope but it is alt/az. For a beginner in AP it may be a bit too much to handle without a lot of frustration. For imaging an equatorial mount is the more appropriate solution or you'll be into wedge territory - and with your budget you can get a good solid and accurate one like the NEQ6 Pro - and pretty well choose which scope you want to put on it.

For wide field DSO imaging a short tube fast appo like SW ED80 (doublet), WO GT81 (triplet) will give great pics. For solar system work a long focal length Mak or Sct would be good choices - something like a Celestron 925 or MN190 astrograph would handle easy on the NEQ6. And the 314L+ would certainly be a great camera to start with - but you can use a DSLR if you have one and use the spare grand for all the ancilliary extras you're gonna need.

But read the book and ask loads of questions first - it's a big step and you want to be sure you're "splashing the cash" in the right direction or it will cost you dearly. Needs thorough research imho - get to an astro soc or star party for some forward scouting :)

yes im definitely going to be doing imaging

Read a bit of a horror story on here today with the quote "bent-bolt" problem with the NEQ-6, that happens more frequently the further north you are.

Im surprised that this is still an issue with such a piece of popular kit!

Are there instructions on how to avoid this if i purchase such a mount?

Read a bit of a horror story on here today with the quote "bent-bolt" problem with the NEQ-6, that happens more frequently the further north you are.

Im surprised that this is still an issue with such a piece of popular kit!

Are there instructions on how to avoid this if i purchase such a mount?

Glad you asked.

First of all you can order replacement bolts that are more sturdy. Dont have a link however, but some searching should do it.

The other answer would be to take the mount apart and install a mod similar to the one I use. A guy in my club, Gunnar, made a few of these, and he helped me fit one.

The next scope to the neq6 in performance is about £300 more I think £25 is a bargain. lots of people have used the neq6 for years taking into account its price and performance it's a lot of mount for the price you pay it's a tried and tested mount and other than its known issues with the bolts is a very reliable mount

The only alternative to the NEQ-6 is the CGEM which is more expensive and heavy to lug about.

The only really viable option above the NEQ-6 when it comes to price vs performance is the MESU 200 and that is 4 times as expensive.

Sure the bolts are an issue, but it's a known issue, and that hasn't stopped the community from using the NEQ-6 as the baseline heavy duty mount when on a budget. And it's a good choice for the simple reason that there are so many on the boards that know it's innards very well (Astrobaby and Gunnar to name a few) so it's pretty easy to get answers when you do have an issue.

Archived