NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NEQ6 - need help with setting latitude

matsey

Hi all,

Very happy and proud owner of a new NEQ6 :)

However, having a bit of a problem with the initial setup, and honestly I am petrified of doing something wrong and damaging it, so thought I'd best come here for some advice before going any further !!

I have already got the replacement latitude bolts from astrodevelopments, so I am using those rather than the standard ones that came with the mount.

First question - from the pictures of the installed replacement bolts, it looks like the one with the handle should be on the same side as the polar scope bit is. However, with the latitude I'm trying to set (UK - 51), the handle hits the polar scope when it's turning so I can't get it to go full circle - so does it matter which side each of the two bolts go into the mount? If so, any ideas how I get the handle type bolt in on that side?!

This is how I'm trying to set the latitude:

- remove the latitude bolts completely

- pull/push the mount manually to set the mount at 51 degrees

- put the bolts back in (although as above, with the handle one on the "wrong" side?) and tighten up

Is that the correct procedure or am I doing something completely wrong? I notice when I do then turn the handle one it moves the latitude down the scale a bit. I stopped when I noticed it doing that - though possibly that is what it's supposed to do? But then how do I get it back to 51 degrees?

I've now taken both bolts out to start again when I know what I'm doing - as I say I'm terrified I'm going to bend the bolts or damage the mount by doing something wrong !

Apologies, this is probably an incredibly simple procedure (haven't even started on learning how to polar align yet!), but the manual has nothing about setting latitude, and this being my first EQ mount I am feeling like a newbie all over again !!

Thanks very much,

Matsey :)

Hi

First of all youre right in being cautious.

1) You manually nudge the mount as close as you can.

2) Insert both bolts.

3) When you polar align, unscrew the one on the opposite side a few extra turns so the bolts does not struggle against eachother. Only tense one bolt when you have a lot of room on the other.

4) When youre aligned, tighten just so you feel the bite, be very careful.

Until I got Gunnars mod I always removed the bolts when transporting. Now I feel more secure since I know the bottom one cannot slip.

Astronomy shed has a video series on a complete setup of the mount and polar alignment. This video series (in several parts) helped me a lot.

Yes, the one with the handle should be on the same side as the polar scope cover.

Because of the snug fit against the polar scope cap, the handle has a ratchet mechanism built into it so you turn it a bit, then release the ratchet to turn the handle back without actually turning the bolt, then re-engage the ratcher and turn a bit more, repeating as necessary. To get it into position in the first place you may have to manually move the mount to as low a latitude position as possible. Removing the polar scope cap will also give you a bit more room to work with. Also remember to do this without any scope or counterweights attached.

When making adjustments you need to release one of the bolts before tightening the other.

Also it's worth noting that the scale is just a guide. You can use it to get the latitude in roughly the right area, then use the polar scope afterwards.

Hi Carl

Thanks very much indeed for the quick response, that's definitely set my mind at rest a lot.

And thanks also for the link to the Astronomy Shed video - I had actually already found and watched the first one and found it incredibly useful, but it was actually because he didn't mention anything about setting latitude in that video that I thought I'd missed a pre-setup step. I've now looked again and see there are five videos in total, so possibly I was just getting ahead of myself a bit!

I think what I'm going to do now before I go any further is just sit down and watch all five videos.

Re the question about the replacement bolts - looking at them again they both have the same threads and end, but the handled one is slightly longer, so if anyone does know if it makes a difference which one goes in which side, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks again - off to watch some videos, then have another go a bit later - it does seem that slowly, slowly, careful, careful is the way to go here ;)

Yes, the one with the handle should be on the same side as the polar scope cover.

Because of the snug fit against the polar scope cap, the handle has a ratchet mechanism built into it so you turn it a bit, then release the ratchet to turn the handle back without actually turning the bolt, then re-engage the ratcher and turn a bit more, repeating as necessary. To get it into position in the first place you may have to manually move the mount to as low a latitude position as possible. Removing the polar scope cap will also give you a bit more room to work with. Also remember to do this without any scope or counterweights attached.

When making adjustments you need to release one of the bolts before tightening the other.

Also it's worth noting that the scale is just a guide. You can use it to get the latitude in roughly the right area, then use the polar scope afterwards.

Apologies Mike, didn't see your post before I submitted my last one. Thanks very much for the confirmation - and yes I've just checked again and found the ratchet mechanism (ha ha, I thought the red button was just to make it look pretty :grin: ... for shame!), so that makes sense now thanks very much.

Hi all,

Just wanted to nip back into this thread to thank everyone for their help yesterday and to confirm I've got the latitude adjustment sorted. And finding out that the handled bolt had a ratchet handle helped SO much !! So now both bolts are in properly in their correct place, and I can comfortable use both to adjust the latitude (slacken one, tighten the other, rinse and repeat).

Those astronomy shed videos really are excellent, I can highly recommend them to anyone else who gets a NEQ6. I'm now up to the polar aligning bit, which to be fair I can't really practice properly until I get a clear night, but still have a few questions about that - I'll start a separate thread for that though to not confuse the subject matter on this one.

So thanks again, and clear skies to all.

Archived