Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lyra optics 6 inch short tube achro

Has anyone tried/seen one of these, a very limited market I would have thought.

Looking at the link, they are quite open that it's a deep sky scope primarily, so could suit some, depends on your needs.

I currently have a SW 120 F5 achro on loan from a clubmate, and it falls into the same category. I was using it last night under the first clear sky for ages. I tried Jupiter, even though it's not a planetary scope, and was pleasantly surprised at how much could be seen. The blue halo of CA was there of course, but I still liked the view, ok up to 120x.

You would need to spend a large sum to get rid of the CA. I think that tolerance of these aberations varies, some find it unacceptable, others don't mind, I'm more in the latter.

Regards, Ed.

Thanks for the link, interesting that it rides happily with another frac on a SkyTee

The skytee in that link has been modded with an additional dovetail on the altitude axis. The stock skytee has space for 2 scopes but the second attachment is on a radial on the azimuth bar hence you'd probably wouldn't be able to get a scope that big plus another big long scope on the normal skytee. Search johninderby threads on how he modded it. A small scope wouldn't be a problem though I assume

It's an interesting scope though, it's always caught my eye. Have fancied one of these with a big mak on an alt az like the one in the link. Decent light gathering widefield and high power whilst being behind the scope which is important for me.

Archived