NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

200p dob with a webcam and registax

Hi there basically will i get tidy images off this set up , i want a good all round scope and also would like to do a little imaging , i have a dslr but realise that with the dob mount it would be impossible to get good images with long exposure,

so eventually i will be upgrading the mount to accommodate the 200p..and dslr set up..

if anyone is using the same set up could you please post up the images you are getting if it's not too much trouble.. i will be concentrating on planetary and moon, and possibly with the right filter solar..

thanks in advance

I just spoke to sparkyjon in another thread about different setups and he concluded a dob might be the best choice overall. It sure is hard like Michael says about the tracking, but unlike DSO photographing jupiter with a dob is possible.

I would recommend filming while Jupiter wanders across the FOV, then having registax align the frames inbetween where jupiter isn't cut in half. Ie setting the dob just before Jupiter and have it wander across the fov while letting the mount sit, then repeat when it moves out of the FOV.

I have the American version of the 200p on a dob mount. I was able to get great images of the moon but as the poster above said, keeping planets on the camera sensor is tough. It can be done, but you will need lots of patience and practice.

There are several challenges. You have to manually track the object with your dob. You have to get focus (Jupiter is tough to focus!). You have to magnify Jupiter through the use of one or more Barlows to get it large enough so you can capture some detail. And you need to make sure you get enough frames during the span of two or three minutes to avoid your resulting photo of the planet showing rotation.

Some folks on here have done it. I attempted it a few times with little success. Best of luck to you.

The 200p is a very good visual and moon imaging scope btw. :)

A plus one 4 the 200p, I think with the dob you'd be able to line it up so you only need to move it in one axis - up/down - to track the planets a little better than just letting it drift. I wouldnt think you'd take long to get the hang of it.

You'll also appreciate a 200mm aperture when looking for cluster etc.

Otherwise, if ur serious about imaging an EQ mount is pretty much a necessity. It will allow the dslr to be used then although that isnt easy either. :p

All the best with it,

Aenima

Archived