Taking the plunge - reflector telescope

Hi Everyone,

I have been after a telescope for a while now a couple of times I have been out with a friend who has both a refractor and reflector telescope both worth a lot more than I could afford at the moment. Anyway after trying out both I have decided I would much rather have a reflector, tripod mounted.

The issue I have is what to go for?

I have a budget of £400 and have seen a couple of things I like. Primarily I am interested in looking at nebula and distant objects over planets.

With this information could people help me short list a couple of telescopes?

Thanks

The best view of planets and deep space requires apparture. The price of a scope is spread through the cost of components some for the scope some for the mount so if you want the maximum apparture per pound get a dob mount rather than a tripod. The dob mentioned has the same size apparture as the 200 on the tripod but because it's a cheaper mount it's a cheaper package.

If £400 is your max out budget you maybe need to go a bit smaller on the scope so you have some cash for eyepieces and a collimator both of which will be essential. A standard cheshire collimator should knock you back about £20 the eyepeces vary enormoulsy. If cash is tight BST explorers get a good press.

The eyepieces are really essential as the ones that come with the scope will be (a) very limited and ( B) of relatively poor quality.

With a tight budget you can make a dewshield for the scope out of cardboard if need be and most other things you can live without but the EPs are really a must have. Dont rush in and buy EPs at the start, get some eye time in and then decide and leave money aside for them later on.

Agreed that you need to consider accessories, collimator will be wanted and say 2 eyepieces as well.

BST's are a goood option so say £50 each and £25 for a collimator, thats £125 as close as damn it.

You should be OK with 4 eyepieces but you have no choice in 2 of them.

Vixen plossl's are a bit less at £30 but you lose eye relief on plossls at the lower end.

If you say £400 is the absolute max then this means £275 for the scope and mount.

If you saved a bit extra after buying the scope then perhaps £300.

Afraid that buying a scope is the start, not the end.

Do you have much light pollution, if you do and can get to a darksky site a 200mm dobsonian could be quite good for galaxies and other faint fuzzies. You could spend the rest of you budget on a good medium powered eyepiece for galaxies and the smaller nebulae.

The amount I listed was what I have for this month so next month I will then have money for accessories. My friend also has some accessories I can borrow in the mean time to help me out. So I would rather have a good quality scope then buy the extras as I need them.

Is the collimator required for an initial setup?

Usually scopes come already collimated, so not an initial worry, as long as the scope is not knocked about too much in transit, but a collimater such as a Cheshire collimater or similar will be a must at sometime in the future. If you would like my opinion in regards to the scope - go for the biggest aperture you can afford.

The question for me, which was also mentioned by Rowan46 (apologies if I missed the reply), is why do you need it on a tripod?

You mention that astrophotography is not in your future plans, so will you consider a scope on a dobsonian mount, or is that out of the picture?

Aronnax :)

Here's a link to my favourite video for explaining how to collimate. I checked out dozens of em but I found that this was the most helpful one for me. When I tried collimation for the first time, I found it hard to understand what I was actually seeing through the draw tube and collimator, what with all the reflections etc. but this video really helped

Collimation (aligning the optics) is something reflector owners will have to check and adjust from time to time; it isn't just an initial setup thing. If the collimation is off, you won't get sharp images. Good luck:)

The question for me, which was also mentioned by Rowan46 (apologies if I missed the reply), is why do you need it on a tripod?

You mention that astrophotography is not in your future plans, so will you consider a scope on a dobsonian mount, or is that out of the picture?

Two reasons really, I would like to take it out and about, looking at the dobsonians they just look really bulky, so storing it will be more awkward than a reflector and tripod. Where at least I can store the two pieces separately.

Two reasons really, I would like to take it out and about, looking at the dobsonians they just look really bulky, so storing it will be more awkward than a reflector and tripod. Where at least I can store the two pieces separately.

It's the other way round. The Dobsonian 200 and the equatorial 200 are the same scope, both Newtonians. The Dob version has tube plus a small rocker box on which it moves and that's it. The EQ version adds tripod, countrweights and mount head, all of whcih are surprisingly irritating to store and move about, I find! The Dob will stand upright on the floor in the corner of a room. So it's the Dob which is the elegant and compact version of the same scope. The Dob mount is also more stable. Since you are interested in targets outside the SS you'll mainly be using low power eyepieces giving wide fields of view so tracking without slow-motion controls won't be a bother.

Olly

1. The question for me, which was also mentioned by Rowan46 (apologies if I missed the reply), is why do you need it on a tripod?

Interesting. If it's storage and transportation, I would think the dobsonian mount would win hands down (unless I've missed something?). I'm about to replace my 4.5" reflector on an equatorial mount with an 8" reflector on a dobsonian mount, and although the telescope is much bigger, the footprint of the whole setup will be much smaller with the dob mount over the assembled tripod setup.
    Maybe your storage needs mean that you need to strip down and pack away the whole setup rather than leaving it stood up in a corner though (?)
    You mention you looked at some telescopes, in the flesh so to speak, when you decided reflector vs refractor. Did you get hands on with the different types of mounts as well (Equatorial vs Alt-az tripod vs Dobsonian)? If you have, and have determined your transportation / storage necessitates one over the other, then ignore my comments above ;) , but if not, can I urge you to have a look at them, as the savings on the mount can be used on a telescope with larger aperature / eyepieces / accessories etc.
    At the end of the day the best scope for you is the one which suits your needs the best, both observing and storage, and will be the one that you use the most.

Having been through a similar decision not so long ago - I bought a 130mm reflector on an eq mount.

I wish I had gone for a larger dob!

Setting up and polar aligning is a pest. Taking it all to bits is a pest. Star hopping is harder - point at Sirius and go north one hop and right 2 hops is not easy with an eq mount due to the axis being tilted 53 degrees! For purely visual then you can't beat a dob.

A 200mm dob is ideal in my mind and will be my next scope. If you get interested in April (can afford it!!!) Then you can always buy a big eq mount and move the scope from the dob base to the eq mount.

Dobsonian gets best bang for your buck, you can mark it up with setting circles a £20 wixey inclinometer and it is a push to scope which is really easy to set up (just align it to pole star, all of 2 minutes). Will come with tow eyepieces normally so buy a barlow and you have four eyepieces essentially.

I use my dob more than my goto.

I've advised a mate of mine to go for the 200p dob rather than the Explorer 200p, just for ease of setup. He's new to astronomy, like me and I wouldn't want to chance that he wouldn't fed up if a large faffing factor comes with his scope. He saw mine and was impressed at how quickly it was ready to go. I would'nt have any issues in transporting mine either.

Archived