M78 over and out.

ollypenrice

I used to love M78. Now I have mixed feelings about it after banging my head on it for about the last six weeks!!!

I'm now dreaming of searingly bright, dustless emission nebulae...

Olly

M78%20FINALsrgbWEB-XL.jpg

Oh no, just seen I need to re-crop that right hand edge. It haunts me!

Well, I see what you mean. Why is it so? Camera is not sensitive enough or flats problems destroying what you are after?

Mark

We seem to have sorted the flats.

I can't comment on the camera because it's the only one we've used in this telescope but I do wonder about how sensitive it is. The original plan was to do some binning of colour, not an issue at the sampling rate we have, but it won't bin without artefacts.

In a nutshell I just don't think this is an F6.8 object. I've felt the same about objects tackled in my own TEC140 at F7. It's a stunning lens but F7 is not ideal for imaging of faint objects. The more I do this the more I want F ratio first and foremost, though if you want F5 at 2.5 metres FL youl'll need a 20 inch imaging scope and that is not likely to appear tomorrow morning! I know people do lay seige to targets in C11s etc but it isn't for me. I'm totally convinced that before you do anything else you need to reach the useful limit of the signal for your camera and this will take a very long time on faint targets at slow F ratios.

This setup has collected stunning data for M51 etc in around 20 hours but I suspect that to do as well on M78 you'd be looking at what, forty to sixty hours?

Of course, I may just be doing something wrong!!

Olly

PS I agree about the spooky menace thing. That's always grabbed me on this. Tom's was the first image of this that I ever saw and it's fascinated me ever since.

I'll join you. What shall we do? :grin:

Olly

Got a metal detector for Christmas, keep finding telescopes with it though, if only the clouds would clear they would be out in the garden. Starting to worry as the mrs keeps buying me stuff that would make me go out :grin: :grin:

Got a metal detector for Christmas, keep finding telescopes with it though, if only the clouds would clear they would be out in the garden. Starting to worry as the mrs keeps buying me stuff that would make me go out :grin: :grin:

Great, I could use it to find my car keys and then I could use my car again!

Olly

Archived