Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Are all goto systems equal?

Hi all,

About to invest in a new mount as my GEM1 finally died. I've thinking of a HQE5 or similar as I'd like something stable to do some imaging with in the future.

First question - I'm likely to do a few tours a year for family and friends and in the past interest wains as I find the next celestial body. I'm guessing this is where gotos really come into their own and allow you to move things around quickly. Any experience of that?

Second question - are all goto systems reasonable similar or are some easier to set up and use than others?

Thanks,

Matt

Really difficult to say. Just about everyone will put the Skywatcher system on their mount so I am guess ing that 98% of the mounts all have that one them, maybe more.

Alternative for the HEQ5 is the AWR system which although good is also more costly, by a significant amount. The other that appears to be around is the one that is sold by TS made by iOptron for the EQ5 but not the HEQ5.

I am not aware of anyone that has either system on their mount, although it would be good to hear from anyone with the iOptron system as the price is similar to the Skywatcher offering and there have been several reported problems with the Skywatcher electronics. I may get a sysytem for my EQ5 and I would look at the iOptron if I did.

No information of the set up of either so unable to say much on that side, equally have not looked for a manual for either.

I have a Celestron CG5 goto mount that doesn't get used much.

The bigger diameter tripod legs (vs Skywatcher) give a little more rigidity.

The software is (in my opinion) a bit easier to use than Skywatcher.

It is very noisy when slewing.

My main mount, Alter D6 has an AWR system.

Expensive but you get what you pay for.

So many more features. From the basic remembering time/date through to loads too numerous to mention.

Very very good backup from the UK manufacturer.

The handset does not have the curvy modern style of the chinese boxes, but it is repairable should it break. Noit throw away or return to China.

The display is (in my view) better than the Celestron or Meade kit.

No hesitation at all in continuing to use the AWR stuff.

Hope something helps here.

Don't know if this helps, but I have used the Celestron system with my Nexstar 8SE and the iOptron Nova goto system with my Minitower. I understand the Nova system is used with the iOptron eq mounts as well. From my own experience the iOptron system has been a great deal easier to use, at least in terms of alignment routine. Both systems make it relatively easy to access menus to find planets/messiers etc to keep things moving along quickly. I've not used the SW synscan systems so can't comment on that.

I've had both the Nexstar system (with the 8" OTA that I still use) and the Synscan kit fitted to an equatorial mount, and to be honest there are relatively few differences from a user interface point of view.

I found it was useful on the Nexstar to be able to limit the speed at which the mount slews to the next target, so you can limit the noise - the Synscan automatically slews at top speed and in a small urban garden this raises issues for neighbours. You may find that the HEQ5 is not too moisy if the motors are well enclosed within the main body of the mount, but I've not had a chance to play with an HEQ5, more's the pity.

Both systems were accurate - that really helps with finding faint objects in a light-polluted sky. The synscan possibly had the edge, but maybe that was because it was on a beefier EQ mount rather than the slightly shaky alt-az mount of the Nexstar 8SE. I used the same alignment routine on each - two-star manual align.

Had a nexstar and also have an HEQ5. The user interface s nit goo much different. The Nexstar had 'any star' alignment where the skywatcher needs you to ID three bright stars. In reality I found the any star align unreliable and the skywatcher very reliable.

It sounds a bit daunting to ID three bright stars but in fact I let the mount pick the stars and watch where its going. It generally misses the first one bu its usually its pretty bvious which one it was aiming for so even if your a bit clueless at astro navigation its not really that hard.

The roughest thing for most people is getting their heads around a GEM based mount.

The beauty of a GoTo is less faff when showing other people the sky, no more pressure on you or boredom on them as you try to find something to show them.

I have a Nexstar 6se I find the 3 star alignment very time consuming due to the "unsecessfull prompt" .However the 2 star align is a piece of cake and works everytime.I also find the solar align easy.

As aresult I dont bother with the 3 star alignment, it does not seem to make a difference as whatever I ask it to find always ends up pretty close to the centre of the view.

Archived