Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What do I need, which telescope and webcam/compact?

t0ny

It is easier if you always set up in the same location. If you roughly polar align by setting the latitude to 52° and pointing North using a compass, you can then drift align the mount into position. If you mark where the tripod feet go, you can simply place it back in the same spot (spots ;)) next time and you know you are close enough. I have three little paving stones set into my lawn in the right place.

Drift aligning is the process of sighting on two stars in specific parts of the sky, watching which way they drift across the eyepiece, and then adjusting the mount alt or az (not the telescope) until the drift is in the right direction.

Here is nice explanation of how to do it with an eyepiece: http://www.iankingimaging.com/show_article.php?id=11

I struggle to do this with an eyepiece though, so I use my guide camera and PHD guiding software. There is great explanation of how to do it in this thread: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/81943-phd-drift-polar-alignment/ You should be able to do the same with your Toucam and if you then mark your tripod feet positions you only need to do it once.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi! I'm come back to the astronomy hobby after a few year complete out. I'm finding a nice webcam for start with planets and I'm reading a lot about the Phillips Toucam but I guess is little old model and I don't find it in any shop. What model of camera do you think will be good to buy now (year 2013)?

Thanks

Archived