NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meade LX80 or iOptron Minitower II

DoctorD

Hi

I'm looking to upgrade my Skywatcher Synscan AZ mount and would like to be able to mount a C8 SCT which is currently mounted on the original 1997 CG5 manual mount.

Primary interest is visual astronomy but would also use the mount with my SDC 435 video camera. I do not have the time or patience for long exposure astrophotography so I'm not that bothered about the EQ mode of the LX80 although I might experiment with it.

My primary concerns, due to limited observing opportunities are:

1. Ease of set up

2. Ease of use

3. GOTO accuracy

4. Portability

5. Reliability

I'm considering the LX80 and the Minitower II and would welcome any opinions on either mount.

Thanks for any feedback and clear skies.

Paul

The Minitower was favourably reviewed in Astronomy Now by Ian Morrison, a man who has used larger mounts in his time :grin: :grin: and who knows his stuff. I can't say that Meade QC or design in mounts has made me anxious to fork out their way.

Olly

Minitower ordered should have it for the weekend.

I'll write a short review when I get chance.

Will be mounting the C8 on one side and a IND70 (also just ordered primarily as a travel scope) on the other.

Clear skies (not a chance given I've blown my astronomy budget for the year and we're not two weeks into the year!)

Paul

INED70? If you're interested I have been fiddling with this scope for ages to get its field as flat as possible using a Canon 1100D. Think I will have a nice result to show you as soon as I get a clear sky.

I sometimes fit my the OTA from my 8SE to my minitower II (and balance it with an equinox 80mm on the other side). I found it worked fine with that configuration. I find the iOptron Nova goto much better and easier to use than the celestron nexstar system, both for alignment and in general use. The review by Ian Morrison that Olly pointed to is pretty much spot on in my experience. Some people reported problems with the GPS unit - sometimes it can take a wee while to fix its position, but I find it usually sorts itself out in 5-10mins (and usually picks up within a couple of mins). Some poeple recommended just opening up the top and reseating the gps unit - I did this and the performance did noticeably improve - must have just got a little loose in transit.

Look forward to hearing how you get on with it!

Sorry, yes I meant INED 70.

Plan on hooking up my SDC video cam to it or simply wide field views visually. I don't have a suitable DSLR at the moment and understand that the AZ mount will be very limited for astrophotography.

Interesting to note that I've seen the LX80 heavily discounted so soon after its introduction - Telescope House have it at £556 at the moment, perhaps the initial teething problems have had a negative impact or it could just be Murphy's Law since I've placed my order for the Minitower:) Might be a bargain for someone.

To be honest the specified GOTO accuracy was the final decider for me, 1 arc minute for the Minitower and 10 for the Meade - all to be taken with a pinch of salt, however all reviews of the Minitower comment on how good the accuracy is.

Feels like Christmas all over again - cannot wait for the weekend!

Clear skies

Paul

I am researching the LX80 having come across the discounted offers - are there any owners who would like to add their thoughts / experiences of the mount. I have had a quick look through the User manual - it looks like a steep learning curve. My Skywatcher ALTAZ GOTO mount seems simplicity itself by comparison!!!!

Archived