NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

how long does it take?

adrastea

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You never stop learning, after over 40 years of interest in astronomy, I found I have still a lot to learn.

But I feel confident enough to discuss astronomy with anyone, as long as I listen when they speak.

This forum along with the internet has enable all of us to communicate and learn from each other. Long may it continue.

naz

1st interest in 1977, Star Wars year, had a cheap chinese Frac for xmas........for the next 30 years I played about on and off, but have been serious since I started SGL three months ago :D and even AFTER ALL THIS TIME I STILL KNOW PRACTICALLY NOTHING!!

JV

Ever since I was a young lad I've been into astronomy, space travel, sci-fi, etc but I've been an armchair astronomer for the last 20 odd years or so. I've only recently bought another 'scope this year and I haven't had any real chance to use it yet due to UK weather and the fact that I can only observe at weekends due to the nature of my job.

When I was a teenager and into my twenties, I used to calculate (by hand and later with a calculator) the planet positions with a useful spherical trigonometry equations book I'd bought somewhere and I used to draw up charts showing a graph for the year which eventually got me into computers and programming. I had a decent sized scope about then and I'd previously had a go at grinding an 8" mirror but astronomy went on the back burner as I got more interested in programming. I wrote a program to display the night sky on my screen but never finished it off. Nowadays with off-the-shelf applications like Starry Night and Redshift my efforts seem redundant but it was an education and I enjoyed the time spent doing it - the database alone took around 3-4 months to input. I became a professional programmer eventually but became disillusioned with it as a career and eventually quit. I've not got much spare time due to what I do now but I'm gradually getting back into the practical side of astronomy again. It's a damn slow and frustrating process though because of my severely limited observing opportunities.

I'm hoping tonight will be 'the night' for proper first light.

I've been interested in astronomy since I was about 11 - I'm 47 now. My school had an astronomy club and was lucky enough to have an 8 inch Charles Frank newtonian in a dome and a small planetarium in a shed nearby - and a very enthusiastic chap called Ken Ball to run the club. I was green with envy when my mate got a mail order 60mm refractor for his birthday - I had to make do with 7x30 binoculars for ages. He lost interest and then sold me his scope - I still have it today.

Since then I have owned 21 different scopes :shock:

I've never got into imaging although I really admire those that do and the results they produce. I'm just not patient enough so I stick to visual stuff.

John

As a kid I always had a fascination for the stars. Awe in fact.

Just looking up into the pitch black of space ( that was back in South Africa in the early 80s ), and wondering how far those stars were away....made my imagination run wild and boggled the mind.

I did a 1/2 course in Astronomy whilst at Uni, but spent more time drinking and missing lectures....

Over the years, career and other interests have got in the way.

I have always been fascinated with cosmology, the large structure of the universe, hence my fascination with galaxies.

A few months back, saw some aastro pics on the web, and somehow destiny brought me to this site :smiley:

I've learnt a great deal, esp about equip and imaging techniques in a very short time.

I read everything i can, suck up the knowledge, thats just who i am.

Still, i've a long way to go, but im happy with my results so far....

clear skies

Ive been away for a few days so have only just read the replies on this thread. I must admit they've filled me with a lot of encouragement. I'm 23 and though I've been "into" astronomy for my whole life, I ended up turning away from it for about 8 years - practicality, I guess. Right now I'm spending more money on education than equipment, since I'm struggling to find even the most basic job and feel that I have a lot of intellectual "catching up" to do.

I used to have so many relevant skills for astronomy - an interest in maths and programming, but it's all fallen out of my head a bit. I suppose it's only the last two months since finishing my Masters (in marine biology) that I've allowed myself the luxury of admitting I made a major career mistake, and I'm just trying to learn as much as I can to feel confident about astronomy and physics again. Whether it becomes a career or not doesn't really matter - so long as I can get outside enough and do some observing.

I'm without a scope right now but still finding that there are so many gaps in my knowledge that I can learn enough about the stars and locations of things with the naked eye. There's something surprisingly satisfying about just sitting outside with a planisphere and a mug of tea. I'm really glad I found this site, it's really inspiring and feels pretty overwhelming to give myself permission to pursue something I love after what feels like such a long absence...

Thanks everyone for the wonderful replies!!

Maya.

Archived