Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Compact or webcam

Looking to make some images and have come across a couple methods I could use. I have a reasonable compact digital that with adapters I could make avi files, stack etc.. Or I could go for the Xbox webcam mod ?

Which would provide better images ?

How about both, using the compact for A-focal luna is very nice, and the x-box can be picked up for a small price, the compact will be better suited to single shots, as they compress avi`s and can be difficult to stack

personaly I'd go for the Xbox cam at around a fiver, it'll be cheaper than phone adapters & will give much better images, i use one, they're easy to modify & great for the price. The only downside is that u need to hook up to a laptop to capture the images. An EQmount is better suited and with a motor drive even better. You dont mention the gear you use, scope,mount etc.

Steve.

Sorry, will update my profile later today. I have the cg2 mount although it isn't driven.

The Xbox is definitely cheap so I think I'll try this first and then given a bit of time I think ill make my own camera adapter. £40 seems a bit ott for what it is but I would like to try it still. Didn't realise the compact would compress the avi and given this I would assume the webcam doesn't ?

Hi. After reading the above I am also going to give the £5 Xbox webcam a go but wanted to ask those in the know if they work on a mac and what software do you need/use to actually view and capture the images? I am new to all this!!

I think i'll stick the webcam on my 'to do' list too. I think a bit of research is in order. Is this the one we are talking about? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0056Z3YC0/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1357047653&sr=8-1π=SL75

Cheaper and with free P&P here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Live-Vision-Webcam-Camera-The-Game-Youre-In-The-Movies-/251125680037?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_Webcams&hash=item3a7841c7a5

I've had two and the service has been very prompt :)

My Xbox live webcam works on my mac, but all the free software mentioned in Cliff's thread (SharpCap, RegiStax and PIPP) are for Windows. I'd also be interested in some OS X alternatives.

I also have an iMac and looked into the software situation. Have come to the conclusion that using boot camp and installing windows on a minimaly sized partition will make sense in terms of software available aswell as friendly support available when I almost certainly run into a brick wall....thinking 30-40 gb windows 7. Should only take about 30 mins and save a whole load of bother !

I also have an iMac and looked into the software situation. Have come to the conclusion that using boot camp and installing windows on a minimaly sized partition will make sense in terms of software available aswell as friendly support available when I almost certainly run into a brick wall....thinking 30-40 gb windows 7. Should only take about 30 mins and save a whole load of bother !

I have a similar set up, but with a larger Win 7 partition. However, I have been using a Samsung Netbook for my capture and processing :)

Looks good, is that part of an old eyepiece ?

Yeah, I had two of the stock skywatcher 10mm to hand, so I....errr....."borrowed" the barrel. Has the benefit being able to screw a filter on the end with ease. Not managed a night trial yet, but through my evostar 90 managed a nice video of a wind turbines nose spinning round, about 3 miles across the fields.

Archived