Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Newcastle

geordieskiers

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Welrod 50

Thanks for the info but could you please clarify, do I have to have the tripod/mount aligned north? I mean is there somewhere on the mount or tray that has a marking to use to align north?

I'm back in the garden tonight lovely clear skies and I'm trying to find "Brightest Star" this being Capello once I have this beautifully aligned both with sight and scope it asks me to find a 2nd star "Vega".

I'm only trying to use the "Brightest Star" setting but it keeps asking for 2nd star, and unfortunately Vega is no within viewing distance of my small back garden.

Any help would be great as I'm scratching my head while writing this and deeply gutted that another clear sky is passing me by!!

Happy New Year

Sorry for the late reply mate, been away. Your mount is an alt/az GO TO I believe, but without seeing it, it should still have a leg with a marker or sticker on it to tell you to use it as the north facing leg. Ordinarily, when your mount is in the resting/switched off position the leg which faces the same way as the scope should be the north leg. Best bet is to consult the manual - it will tell you in there where the starting position is.

Can you not scroll on the handset to select a different second star? I know on my synscan hand controller that the list of available stars does decrease once you've picked the first star to align to, but you should still be able to choose another one?!

Let us know how you go.

Just had a thought - it's not ideal but it's worth a go (I've tried it in my back garden and it works)!

Align to Capella and then slew it to Vega. Even though you can't see Vega, let the scope go and then just save the position it rests in. Then direct it to Polaris once it's up and running and it should miss slightly (unless you're really very lucky!). Now, so long as the mount is perfectly level, manually adjust the mount, so that Polaris comes into view in the centre of your EP view. Polaris does 'move' but only very little. It is cheating somewhat, but I have used this technique twice for viewing, and guess what - scope slewed around to M42 in Orion and hit it spot on, and tracked it spot on too. I wouldn't make a habit of this method as it isn't foolproof, but it may make the difference bewteen getting some viewing done, and messing about for an hour!!

Good luck :)

Archived