Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which frame rate? 50i or 25FP?

Tim

Here's what I plan to do:

Attach my camcorder to an eyepiece and take some lunar and Jupiter footage.

Then take the video and save it as an avi.

Then stack as normal in avistack.

But what frame rate would give a better result? 50 interlaced or 25 progressive? When I have done this before I have used interlaced and then deinterlaced them in Virtualdub.

I believe vertical resolution would be better in progressive frames, but would it be enough to make a difference?

Anybody?

Cheers

Tim

Here's what I plan to do:

Attach my camcorder to an eyepiece and take some lunar and Jupiter footage.

Then take the video and save it as an avi.

Then stack as normal in avistack.

But what frame rate would give a better result? 50 interlaced or 25 progressive? When I have done this before I have used interlaced and then deinterlaced them in Virtualdub.

I believe vertical resolution would be better in progressive frames, but would it be enough to make a difference?

Anybody?

Cheers

Tim

As far as I remember, the progressive video contains 25 complete images per second, while the interlaced video contains 50 half frames. Not sure what would be the result of stacking half frames (even if converted to progressive before stacking).

Interlaced video causes a loss of image resolution and stability, introducing visual artifacts, since the first half of your image will be slightly different then the second half. In my very modest opinion, it would be better to avoid interlaced video, especially if you have to deinterlace it: the encoder will be making 1 full image out of 2 half images that are anyway slightly different from each other for many reasons.

I believe (but more expert people can prove me wrong) that some half frames will also result more deteriorated by atmospheric turbulences then the other half frames: when de-interlacing this will give you one full image that may potentially contain half bad pixels and half good pixels. And unfortunately the seeing can vary so rapidly that this doesn't sound impossible to me. And the more you process a video the more data you destroy and subtle artifacts appear, deteriorating the image quality and consequently your stacking results.

I would personally do progressive video (especially to avoid extra video processing tasks and their negative consequences) but you can always stack 1 ore more videos in both formats and see which one gives you the best result (you could actually post the results here as this would be of use for future reference :) ).

If you need more FPS, check out if your camcorder lets you set a lower resolution: I've seen some devices that allow higher FPS at low res.

Hope this helps! Let us know how it goes :)

Archived